Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missy1919 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Could I Get Arrested
    If I had to appear in court as a witness for a murder case could I also be arrested if I had several Traffic Warrants?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missy1919 View Post
    If I had to appear in court as a witness for a murder case could I also be arrested if I had several Traffic Warrants?

In theory and I would guess practice, yes. One side or the other is going to review your background to determine how credible and honest you are and warrants are going to pop up.
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Dec 11, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Yes, you could be arrested. But it probably won't go that far.

First, I would guess the circumstances surrounding the warrant would really depend on whether you are a witness for the defense or the prosecution.

If you are a prosecution witness, possibly you could speak with the prosecutor and explain your situation. If your testimony is valuable enough to their case, the district attorney's office might be able to help you make arrangements with the departments to pay the fines, which would still allow you to testify legally.

If you are a witness for the defense, it is possible that the defense attorney could find your warrant status too much of a gamble and not ask you testify after all. But if he doesn't know, it could unjustly hamper his clients case. So no matter what, it would be in your best interest to inform him.

The matter needs to be addressed before your appearance in court.

Besides, the attorney for the other side could know about the warrant, and not say anything to anybody. They could wait for you to get up on stand and question you about it while you are under oath. Knowing you could be arrested if you tell the truth, you could tempted to lie, which is considered perjury. Opposing counsel will want you to perjure yourself. So be careful and always tell the truth… even if you know the truth could land you in jail. If he asks you whether you have a warrant for your arrest, the answer is yes. The fact that you have a warrant for your arrest has no bearing on your testimony to the murder.

It would save you, the attorneys, and the court a lot of time, not to mention it could save you a lawsuit and a whole lot of embarrassment later on down the line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arrested but never charged? [ 5 Answers ]

My young sister is involved with a guy who has recently been in trouble with the law. He is out on bail and has a court date and yet says he was never charged. He was arrested but never charged. Could this be true? Am I wrong in thinking that if you are on bail to appear in court you must have been...

Can I be arrested? [ 5 Answers ]

Three years ago we got hit by a drunk driver in Texas, due to this we had to go apply for foodstamps and medicaid. Our District Attorney here referred us there while our applications to the Texas Crime Victims went through because the driver had no insurance. I just got summoned by the state...

Arrested for shoplifting [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested for shoplifting. The total items was $100.00 They called the cops . They made me to sign a form not to go to that store again. Cops told me that I will not have a criminal record but I will receive a notice to pay penalty. I am worried if they will notify my employer or will this...

Child arrested [ 5 Answers ]

In California is a child allowed to be questioned by a police officier after being arrested without a parent present? What if they do not book her and ask you to bring her back to be booked? If she is caught stealing to I get sued for civil charges of $500.00? Does she get charged with a felony...

View more questions Search