Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoops44w Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Need to move my fax machine upstairs
    Here is my dilemna. I currently have a home office on my first floor. I have two phone jacks, my phone line is connected to the jack underneath the desks and my fax machine is connected to the other jack in the room.

I want to move the offices upstairs, but there is only one jack available. Is it possible to connect the phone and fax machine to the one jack upstairs. Any suggestions on how to do this would be great. If there is a guide anywhere would be great too
    KingJasper05 Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Dec 11, 2008, 07:01 PM

Are the phone and fax sharing the same dedicated telephone line? If so, buy yourself a splitter from Radio Shack. It has a male plug to connect into the one existing jack. The treat of this though is that there now are two jacks. They both share the same line as before.

If no, (you have two lines so two bills) have an extension run off the other to get it upstairs. You may want to fish it through the walls which requires drilling small holes and pulling wires through.

Good luck.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2008, 06:45 AM

If Fax is a separate line, and all phone wiring I know of has at least 4 conductors, and all jacks end up connecting outside, then swapping a couple of wires is all that is needed.
    Red and green(or blue pair) is usually line 1,
    And yellow and black(or orange pair is usually line 2.
    Then, connect the yellow/black to the red and green on fax jack. A single line device connects to center 2 pins(red and green).
    If all 4 conductor have both lines, and connect to red, green. Yellow, and black, then you could use a different splitter that has 2 or 3 places to plug in(line 1, line 2, line 1+2)
    Phone plugs into L1, and Fax into L2.
    Can you provide additional info?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use my credit card machine and fax machine on a VOIP line? [ 4 Answers ]

We're a small business and have recently been contacted by our local cable company about porting our 3 lines over to them. Will our credit card machine and fax machine work on a VOIP line?

What could be the cause of : Upstairs toilet backs up into Upstairs bathtub [ 5 Answers ]

The upstairs toilet has been backing up and emptying into the upstairs bathtub. The only other toilet in this house is in the basement which is working. The house is connected to a town sewer system. What could be the cause?

Yard Machine only wants to move in reverse. [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a Yard Machine (Model# 13BM675G009) 14.5 horse Briggs powered, Transmatic (I think?) mower. It wasn't running when I got it and that has all been fixed but when I start it the mower refuses to move forward. It will move perfectly fine in reverse although it also seems to go in...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

View more questions Search