Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 06:51 PM
    5 month old waking A LOT at night.Rank and Lia need SLEEP!
    Well guys, little Lia Pea is 5 months old and having some sleeps issues that I need advice on. Here's the low down:
    Our bedtime routine starts at about 4:30(this seems to be when she starts getting fussy so it helps doing it this early). We eat, bath, read, and then I put her bed. We've been co-sleeping since she was a newborn and she would just fall asleep while she nursed. This has came back to haunt me I believe. If I lay her on my bed, most of the time she can fall asleep on her own. It's after that that we begin to have issues. I've also been trying to make the transition to the crib since it's much safer now since she it quite the roller. Anyway, after she goes to sleep around 6 she will usually wake up around 7 wanting reassurance and she goes back to sleep fairly easy. Then she wakes up around 9, 12:30, 3:00, and then stirs and roll a lot between 4:00 to 6:00 when she wakes up. Between 9 and 3 is hell for me... Each time it takes me about 30 minutes to help her back to sleep and then she's usually awakened and upset again right after that. She CAN fall asleep on her own. She does it a lot during the day with naps and she does it very frequently when she goes to be and sometimes with the 2nd wake up. RankRank is tired and in need of some advice and poor Lia needs a better quality of sleep. Thank you for taking the time to read this and help. It's very appreciated!! :(
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 06:00 AM

Our daughter did something similar. We got a book called the 90 minute sleep program or something similar to that. Now, on her 10 month birthday she is taking a 2 hour morning nap, a 1 1/2 afternoon nap and sleeping 9-10 hours straight at night.

Of course now that this is working she starts teething... but the sleep plan works. Its worth the investment of $15 in my opinion.

The other suggestion - when she wakes up in the middle of the night - let her cry - she'll go back to sleep without you. The crying won't hurt her. She will learn that night time is sleepy time and will soon stop waking up at night. When you get up with her you are just teaching her that night time has no meaning to her.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2008, 07:27 AM

I'd try bumping back her bedtime routine a bit and see what results you get. She may simply not be all that tired since she is napping quite a bit in the day as well. Watch how long she is napping during the day... you may find if she has a bit shorter naps during the day, she will go a bit longer at night. Maybe let her have a short late afternoon nap, but then have her back up until later in the evening before actual bedtime. It won't happen over night, but you can help to encourage better nighttime sleeping.

Also, it is very common for babies to wake more when they are learning or practicing a new skill so this may be part of the issue.

Expect changes in sleep patterns in the first year. They are developing very quickly and along with this, their sleep needs will change as well. Often, you will have them on a workable schedule and they decide to change it up on you!
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Dec 12, 2008, 10:49 AM

My son starting sleeping through the night when he was 3 weeks old. But when his 5 month birthday rolled around, he decided that he was not going to sleep through the night anymore. We he woke crying we would go check on him to make sure he was OK, then we would leave him to cry himself to sleep. It was torture for me but it only took about 1 week and he was back to sleeping through the night. I hated doing it, but it did work.
    tata85usa Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 08:58 PM

I had a same problem, I can't make her sleep too, and I decide let her cry, it was really difficult but after 3 days she was OK
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Doula: Lia takes about three 30 min naps per day. Usually she takes her last one around 3:30 or 4 but I bumped it to 2:30 and she seems to fall asleep faster at bedtime. The Ferber method just isn't for me... I just CAN'T let her cry... soooooo I'm thinking about getting the book, The No Cry Sleep Solution and putting that to works. Has anyone had any luck with this? Thanks again ladies.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 05:31 PM

Different methods will work for different families... hence the wide variety of books available for getting babies to sleep. No Cry Sleep Solution is based on what many parents sometimes forget to do: things like having a consistent bedtime routine... maybe a bath, fed, rocked a bit, and put down to sleep. Understanding that baby's "sleep through the night" is not the same as most adults!
    Get the book (check it out at the library if you can) read through and try what makes sense to you... see if it helps give you a game plan.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 07:47 PM

Library is a great idea! We already have a wonderful routine and so forth so this book might help but if that's what it is based on then... hum... might try something different. Great thoughts! Thanks again DLC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my 11 month old to sleep through the night? [ 19 Answers ]

My son is almost 11 months old and he still gets up 1-2 times a night. I am trying to get him to sleep through the night, but he wakes up and WANTS to eat. I have tried just waking and rocking him, but he WILL NOT go back to sleep until he has had something to eat. How do I break this? :)...

My 10 month old daschound cried three times waking up from sleep [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know what might be wrong with him. He has never done this before.

Puppy suddenly waking during night [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old bulldog. Up until about 2 weeks ago, he slept all the way through the night in his crate. Now he has started waking up 1 or 2 times every night, barking. I bring him outside and he pees. Then I put him back in his crate. I don't understand why this suddenly started...

MY pet beagle keeps waking up in the middle of the night! [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 3weeks, my pet beagle who's 1 and a half years old keeps on waking up in the middle of the night! What she does is get up around 3ish wanting to go to the toilet and then comes back in, potters around and then wants her breakfast really early! I'm becoming really tierd from this...

Why is my 7 month old waking during the night [ 2 Answers ]

My 7 month old baby boy used to sleep right through the night but lately he's been waking once or more during the night he's not hungry and not in pain any ideas

View more questions Search