Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbriah Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Dec 11, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Can credit card sue you for damages and liability?
    Can a credit card company sue you for damages and liability? And if they can do so, I will like to know if it is with the purpose to inflict criminal charges. Also if I can stop all of this filing a bankruptcy? I know I am not guilty of anything. The system just does not work. I called so many times the credit card company to arrange a monthly payment. Every thing I offer they refused. The last phone call that I made they said that they do not want my money that my account was sold to an attorney. Now I have to deal with them.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 09:09 PM

A lot of collection agencies are now claiming to be attorneys simply to sound more threatening. Some times the best thing to do is let them take you to court and settle it there. IF they give you a court date make sure you go or it will end up worse most likely.
    Bimmeraddict Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 12:15 PM
    It could very well be a fact though, your acct has been sent to an attys office for a judgement? I was in the business for years and once we would locate and verify FT employment if the cust was uncoop we would simply send it out to have you garned. If you have a bankruptcy in the works they can't even contact you once you have advised them of your attys info... if they can verify a case number there hands are tied until the meeting of creditors day in which they may have to write off the entire loan depending the type of bankruptcy your going after and what the debt is for...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2010, 07:22 PM

They may sue you for any and everything in the contract where you legally owed them the money. On credit cards if you refused to pay for any length of time, late fees and interest can almost double some of the amounts owed, This is merely from a legal agreement that you signed and agreed to.

Yes filing bankruptcy will stop credit card debts.

They are not required to accept monthly payments, and they are not required to accept less than the full amount due.

Well yes, you did do something wrong, you defaulted in a loan, which is not criminal but civil issue that gives the damaged party the right to sue to the full amount of the contract

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas Credit Card debt collection affecting credit rating in Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

I do live in Canada and I have an outstanding CC debt with a world-renown bank in the UK, but for reasons beyond my control I am unable to make overseas payments. It is not a matter of not trying or wanting to pay, but other reasons are involved... How could or will non-payment of a...

Problems in not paying a Corporate credit card and also a personal credit card [ 1 Answers ]

1. We are the main share holders in a "S" corp. The corporation is not longer doing business but have an outstanding credit card balance. We are making the mim payments but will not be able any longer. What can be done to us if we stop paying. 2. We also used a personal credit card for this...

Looking for a credit card who will only check transunion/poor credit [ 1 Answers ]

My transunion score is high and the others r in the high fives I'm looking for a business credit card is there a chance there might be one who will only check my transunion? Thank you Smart B Development Corp.

Civil summons for a credit card, but my fianc? Has never had a credit card [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! My fiancé has received a civil summons from a law firm representing Discover card. My fiancé has never had a discover card in his life. His parents hae one, but the civil summons is for him. He has never received a bill or a letter or a phone call. Apparently the card balance has been...

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

View more questions Search