Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 21, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by heating1cooling View Post
    Mark,

If you use good reliable equipment you have at least a 5 if not 10 year warranty on the motor.

We use Trane and have been VERY PLEASED with the reliability and performance if you take the time to set up the unit properly.

In the tests at the university the factory variable speed units (GE/Regal-Beloit) do work but there cost benefit ratio including replacement at a given point and time does not balance out in the customer favor. Parts warranty or not since labor has to be calculated into the mix. Almost all manufactures give a 5 or 10 year warranty so that is not a problem even with the lesser priced equipment. Service is also a problem since most service trucks are not equipped with the proper tools/spare motors and electronics or manuals to properly test out the entire circuit on the variable speed DC drives.

Variable speed drives of this type also have a difficult time if asked to work out of range as may happen on a replacement system with restricted or extended duct work. They bounce up speed and down trying to find a comfortable speed during this time of additional stress. I am not going to write a book but I have had the opportunity (as a gift from GE) to equip my entire home system (all 3 air handlers) with there variable speed products for free as a demo. I passed on that offer and still stay with my Fan Handler/A-1 style units with Baldor motors.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by heating1cooling View Post
    Mark,

If you use good reliable equipment you have at least a 5 if not 10 year warranty on the motor.

We use Trane and have been VERY PLEASED with the reliability and performance if you take the time to set up the unit properly.
    I understand what you are saying and again I am not commenting on the quality or dependability of a variable speed motor. Let me say that one more time just so we are clear... I AM NOT COMMENTING ON THE QUALITY OR DEPENDABILITY OF A VARIABLE SPEED MOTOR.

My beef with VS motors are their high replacement costs. I've priced a replacement motor and it came in around $700.00 MY COST. Factor in the usual mark-up, taxes and labor and your looking at well over $1200.00. Compare that with the cost of replacing a normal 4-speed motor. Now you tell your customer that it'll cost over $1200.00 to repair his VS equipped furnace that he bought 5-10 years ago.

For comparison reasons, I can buy a non-VS high efficiency unit for $700.00 - $800.00.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Variable speed on York Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a york air handler (no heat pump) and I have the motor on low (just have to move a wire to change from L,M,H) I was wondering if changing the motor speed to Med or High might help move the air better and make up for better efficiency and help not to be so cold in here at night. I just...

AccuClean and variable speed [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I just had a Freedom 80 variable speed furnace installed along with a 14 SEER AC unit and opted for the AccuClean. As soon as the installer left, the red light came on my AccuClean stating that the filter is dirty. It obviously isn't since everything is brand new. I called the installer...

Variable fan will only run on low speed [ 3 Answers ]

We have a Sears air conditioning condensing unit ( model # 867816840) It was working great and then all of a sudden nothing. We have power to the unit, the fan turns on but at a very slow rate. We have power to the contactor, sounds like the compressor runs. The fan motor blade moves freely....

Variable Speed vs. Single Speed Blower [ 1 Answers ]

Questions: Getting 2 new heat pump systems installed. 1.5 ton upstairs and 4 ton downstairs. Decided on Comfortmaker. Heat Load calc performed on sizes. Going 2 stage with variable speed downstairs with Honeywell IQ Pro stat. Was going to go one stage with variable speed upstairs with...

Replace air handler with variable speed [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if I can replace a standard air handler on a 5 ton system with a variable speed air handler without replacing the outside unit. The electronics on the air handler will be different but does the compressor work full time or not.

View more questions Search