Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    achampio21 Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Dec 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
    I want to be rid of diapers FOREVER!
    I have a 2 and 1/2 year old and a 1 and 3/4 year old. I am hoping I can potty train together. I am on medical leave from work and I have plenty of time.

I have been trying but (and I hope I don't offend any guys out there) BUT MY BOYS ARE SO FREAKIN LAZY!! My daughter was potty trained by 10 months!

Does anyone have any hints, tips, bribes (j/k) that will help!! I will be totally grateful!!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 02:47 PM

Boys often do take a bit longer than girls. You can certainly try several ways that work for some people... keep them naked around the house and try to catch them when they show signs of getting ready to go... take them frequently to the toilet, read to them while they sit, reward them if they go... have them go in and sit on their toilet when you have to use the toilet yourself, etc..

In the end, they will go when they are ready. Some children are ready very early on, some not until around 3 or so.
    When they are dry after a nap, can tell you that they have wet or need a diaper change, will tell you when they have to use the toilet, those are the main signs that let you know they are associating their bodily functions with being uncomfortable and are more aware of something going on. Until then, you may catch them once in awhile, but they aren't really potty trained. Often the parents are just trained to catch the child!
    Toilet training is one area, as are meal times, when you don't want a battle with your child. No one needs the pressure and stress. The last thing you want to do is to have a battle of wills with a two year old.
    Give it a try... if no success in a fairly short period... let it go and try again a few weeks later. Potty training should not take months to achieve. When they are ready, both physically and emotionally, it will be relatively easy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 03:05 PM

Yes, the only thing you will do trying to schedule it, is get upset.
    They will do it when they are ready, not one diaper before

Dec 15, 2008, 12:12 PM

LOL! Thank you both VERY much!

I have come to the conclusion that my husband and I have created two EXTREMELY stubborn children. (and we have NO IDEA where they got it from :p)

I plan on starting ( or maybe I should use the word trying instead of starting) this weekend. I will keep you posted!

Thanks again!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 12:49 PM

Use a lot of praise when they do go.
    Do not be angry or punish when they don't.
    They say the more you try to push a kid to use the potty the longer and harder and more stubborn they get.
    As Fr_C said not one diaper before.

Here is a search engine of ideas and so forth
    problems with potty training too early - Google Search

Dec 16, 2008, 11:47 AM

Thank you!! It is slow going, but they are starting to be responsive. I am just kind of letting them lead. We will see if I find any other ideas from N0Help's awesom site!!

Thanks again!
    mcjono Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 02:19 PM
    I found just loose the nappies during the day. Take them the toilet with you always and also offer them them a trip to the toilet every hour or when you notice a sign that they need to go. I also used a sticker chart so every time we went the toilet we got a sticker and also every time we washed our hands we got a sticker to. Its cheap and easy and they love it.

Good luck and most of all don't give up, once you have started stick it out.

Jan 12, 2009, 10:20 AM

Well, my progress has been zilch. But I have an alternate problem. My oldest boy has had digestive problems since birth and he gets constipated REAL easy and has been on $50 a can formula and then was put on miralax. He cries when he gets const. and won't eat. I almost got a breakthrough and then he started getting backed up and he cried for a diaper. So I gave in until he finally had a bowel movement and now he won't go back to the potty. I keep asking, but he just keeps saying "nope". I am thinking of putting a coloring book and crayons (he LOVES to color) in the bathroom and only let him color if he goes and sits on the potty. Do you think it is a good idea?
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 10:27 AM

I think that is a good idea. A way to bribe him in a way. Haha. It should work though. I am sorry for your long progress.
    Str8stack71 Posts: 94, Reputation: 10

Jan 12, 2009, 10:29 AM

I used to squirt dish soap in the toilet and then when they pee'd it was like a game because they thought it was fun to make bubble when they pee'd... I also used to keep M&M's in a tupperware bowl in the cabinet in the bathroom and when they used the toilet they got some candy.. I also used to sit them on there and read books to them while they were trying to go... just some ideas for you. Possibly one of them might work for you...
    Good luck
    jamiegurl82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 02:55 PM
    I have always tried to teach my kids in ways that were fun to keep them interested. I used to put cherrio's in the toilet for my son & tell him to aim. The aim was also a good thing..lol.. My ex had a son that was 9 months younger than my son, so we potty trained them together. We would have them race. To reward them we got them sticker books. Each time they used the potty they got a small sticker, every tenth time they got a big sticker. They used to love going to the store to pick out the stickers & were even more excited to earn them for in their books.. Good Luck:)
    cincity Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2009, 04:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by achampio21 View Post
    I have a 2 and 1/2 year old and a 1 and 3/4 year old. I am hoping I can potty train together. i am on medical leave from work and I have plenty of time.

I have been trying but (and I hope I dont offend any guys out there) BUT MY BOYS ARE SO FREAKIN LAZY!!!!!! my daughter was potty trained by 10 months!!

Does anyone have any hints, tips, bribes (j/k) that will help!!!! I will be totally grateful!!!

My sister started this and it became a family tradition. Get a jar put their picture on it and fill it with a treat they like... fruit snacks, m&m's, etc... put it where they can see it but not reach it... when they go they get a treat. After a while they forget about the treat and you are diaper free!!

Mar 24, 2009, 08:39 AM

I love that idea. My kids very very rarely get candy so that would just make them soooooo happy.

I will try that. Thank you very very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of disposable diapers? [ 3 Answers ]

Hii again... I was wondering about disposable diapers. What is the approximate amount I would spend on diapers per month? For now, I am not looking for the most expensive diapers either. Thanks :D:rolleyes: P.S.. . I'm making my baby budget!

Scarring from reaction to diapers. [ 1 Answers ]

My mom said, "that when I was little Pamper was just coming out with their new pampers." My mom said that she tried them on myself, and I started breaking out bad on my private area, between my thighs, and my buttock area. To this day I have the scars from the reaction to the pamper product. My...

Its over forever [ 9 Answers ]

Just got my decree absolute today and it really hurts to no my marriage has gone forever.we spoke on the phone wishing each other happiness for the future but since I've come off the phone I can't stop crying.why can't I let him go in my head??

Will I be fat forever [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 20yrs old and have a bd which makes me look older and unattractive. I am a size 36(12) with a tummy I want a flat tummy and want to be thin.ive tried everything,green tea,reductil,water.exercise the weight would come off but return again.its despressing and at this young age weighing more than...

Seems like forever [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so my story is long but I don't have a lot of people to listen to me, I met my now ex boyfriend at a get together about 2 years ago, my best friend said she knew he was in love the first time he looked at me, we ended up hanging out all night, and for the next 8 months just became the best of...

View more questions Search