Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronex Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Vlookup what does that mean.
    Can any one tellme.. what does vlookup formula mean in excel...
    missmarple Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 03:14 PM

Basically the V means Vertical so looking for a code/data count the Columns across to see what column the data you wish to find is in and type in a number (number of columns starting from left)
    This is only a guide..
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 01:42 AM

Vlookup means look for a value down a range of rows, and when the value is found, bring back a matching piece of data from the same row a few columns away.

HLookup does the same thing, but it does it across columns.

Lookup formulas are great when you have one sheet with a lot of organized data, like names, addresses, phone numbers, etc.

Then on another sheet, you type a name in a cell, and LOOKUP formulas look at that name, go over to your list of data, find the name, then bring back key pieces of related info... like phone numbers, in an adjacent cell.
    ronex Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 10:13 AM

That was definitely some piece of information.. thanx a lot guys

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vlookup formula [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently using MS-Excel 2003. Having a terrible time with Vlookup. The concept seems easy enough – but I can’t get it to work with just 2 spreadsheets – and pulling only 1 column from the other spreadsheet. I have these fields on one spreadsheet. Worksheet Tab 1 Worksheet Tab 2...

Sum multiple Vlookup results [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Is there a function that can sum multiple Vlookup results? I hate doing this to sum 3 Vlooukup results: =VLOOKUP($I3,AFFINITY,7,FALSE)+VLOOKUP($I3,AFFINITY,8,FALSE)+VLOOKUP($I3,AFFINITY,9,FALSE) Thanks, Gen

Limitations of VLOOKUP [ 3 Answers ]

I have a column of values that can't be put in ascending order. 20 55 3 61 2 etc. I want to lookup another value that corresponds to each of these numbers.

View more questions Search