Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1228 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Employee Hygiene
    We have an employee that has an issue with Hygiene. She is a sales associate so it is critical that she looks nice and smells good!
    At first I thought it was just me noticing the stink but I have had numerous other employees complaining of a STRONG ODER coming from DOWN BELOW.
    It is horrible and a horribly uncomfortable subject! I have heard the employee had been spoken to at her previous job a few times so she has been made aware before and still done nothing!
    How do I approach it?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1228 View Post
    We have an employee that has an issue with Hygiene. She is a sales associate so it is critical that she looks nice and smells good!
    At first I thought it was just me noticing the stink but I have had numerous other employees complaining of a STRONG ODER coming from DOWN BELOW.
    It is horrible and a horribly uncomfortable subject! I have heard the employee had been spoken to at her previous job a few times so she has been made aware before and still done nothing!!
    How do I approach it?

Are you her Supervisor or co worker?
    1228 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 09:29 AM
    My husband and I own the company, we had noticed it before but were not sure if everyone noticed and did not know how to approach it. We were aproached by a few other employees about it and I need to do something. Everyone can smell it, that means when she is out on the job other people will beable to as well. This is a reflection on our product. (it is not food related)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1228 View Post
    My husband and I own the company, we had noticed it before but were not sure if everyone noticed and did not know how to approach it. we were aproached by a few other employees about it and I need to do something. Everyone can smell it, that means when she is out on the job other people will beable to as well. this is a reflection on our product. (it is not food related)

Then I think you have to sit her down and talk to her about the problem. Tell her what you've noticed, see if it's some sort of physical problem, lack of hygiene and be frank. I'd be prepared for a not very good reaction from her (I would guess this will hard info for her to accept).

I always think honesty is best. Maybe she can/will do something, maybe not.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 10:20 AM
    I had a similar problem with an employee - it was a man with BO. When I spoke to him, I tried to be gentle by saying "I'm sure you are showering every day, but I don't think that your deodorant is strong enough" - I actually don't think he was showering daily or using deodorant. Then I suggested a particular brand name to him, saying my boyfriend found that brand to work very well.

It was an uncomfortable talk, but the problem was fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A male's hygiene [ 8 Answers ]

Hello All! Firstly I'm not sure if this question is in the right forum but here goes :- 1. What do you women and men think about a guy who doesn't shower every day? 2. Also how about if your husband came from work... smells abit, doesn't change from his work clothes, sits on the sofa with...

Employee with bad Hygiene [ 10 Answers ]

We have just hired what seems to be a good employee, however, he comes into very close contact to our customers, and has a strong body odor. How do we legally and sensitively deal with it.

Doing Dental Hygiene and Therapy to do Dentistry [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to do the Dental Hygiene and Therapy course and then do Dentisry, will this be easier way to get into university, as I know to do Dentistry it is very competitive, however I need to know whether it will be possible, otherwise there will be no point in doing the Dental Hygiene...

Poor Hygiene Habits in 9Y Daughter [ 10 Answers ]

I am about to pull my hair out... my 9 year old could care less if she showers correctly, brushes her teeth, etc. I try and try to tell her she needs to respect the body that she is in-she won't get another and it falls on deaf (and crusty) ears. She has braces and I keep telling her that when they...

View more questions Search