Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tfmdam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Mixing abs plastic pipe with schedule 40 plastic pipe
    I need to add a drain and there is existing schedule 40 plastic pipe, can I cement abs plastic pipe to the schedule 40 using multi purpose cement?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Hi TFMDAN:

Multi. Purpose cement (1st pic.) can be used on PVC and ABS, but it can't be used to cement ABS directly to PVC... ok? The materials are just too dissimiliar...

They do make a TRANSITION CEMENT (2nd pic.) exactly for transitioning from ABS to PVC, but the people that make it (OATEY) has stated that it is not meant for use INSIDE a home... only made for underground connection and then only 1 connection... the transition from ABS to PVC. So I can't recommend it, but if you can find it and you want to use it... up to you.

In fact, the most legal way to do this in terms of plumbing codes would be to use the multi. Purpose cement to cement a PVC male adapter onto the PVC and an ABS female adapter onto the ABS and then screw the two together using some teflon tape on the male threads!

One other legal way to do it would be to use a plastic x plastic SHIELDED CLAMP (3rd pic.) These are available at all home supply stores... ;)

Anyway, hope that is all clear. Let me know if you have more questions here.

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic pipe brass fittings? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I use brass compression fittings with 15mm plastic pipe? Thanks!

Plastic Pipe Weld [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 33mm push on 90 Deg joint from my hand basin under the floor boards, which recently came off and flooded the kitchen. Am I OK to replace the joint with a weld joint using the existing waste pipe or would I need to replace the pipes too? Thanks.

Plastic flange to lead pipe [ 7 Answers ]

How do you connect a plastic flange to lead pipe and keep it from moving

Plastic flange to lead pipe [ 1 Answers ]

How do you connect a plastic flange to lead pipe and keep it from moving

Plastic and Copper pipe connections [ 1 Answers ]

Help... I am trying to replace a kitchen faucet. The copper water supply pipe is connected to a plastic shut-off valve. I want to replace the plastic shut-off valve with a metal valve. The plastic shut-off valve will not come off the copper water supply pipe. How do I get this off? I tried...

View more questions Search