Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshinemw2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
    The piece that's been missing
    I was adopted at about 14 months old in 1973. I have been searching for my birth father for all my life.. my birth mother can barely remember his name sadly to say.. I have been continuously been searching online for him with no luck at all and the reason for that is all these people search sites claim they are completely free so you enter all your info about person your searching for and then they show you they have found say 20 names get you all excited then when you go to view the info BOOM all go to another page wanting money.. no matter which one I have entered my search for him in they are all wanting money even though the guarantee free searching they don't tell you that you won't be able to view what you do find.. I think this is very cruel especially to adopted children who are now adults and want to search for parents.. everytime I hit a wall cause well I can't afford what they want one company called me and got me all excited promising to find him then give me the price of $600.. is there any help out there is there anyone who actually helps adoptees find there birth families for low cost or free?. theres just no feeling like when there is something missing.. I will never fill complete not knowing who he is or just to have a picture.. well my birth name was tammy abreu I believe and my bfather's name is bernard or bernie hawkins or may just sound like hawkins, I know he would be at about 70 yrs old today if he is still alive.and he was in orlando Florida is where he from. My birth mother told me she saw my birth father a few yrs back at a store in orlando fla but she turned around and didn't say a word to him because she wasn't up to par with her appearance// my heart was crushed cause if he is dead that was my last chance to ever meet him... I was born at ORLANDO REGIONAL MEDICAL HOSPITAL IN ORLANDO FLA. MY DOB IS MAY 27, 1973. MY BIRTH MOTHERS NAME WAS SHARON.BUT SHE IS JUST NO HELP... she was 17 and he was 35 yrs old when she was pg with me.. is there any help out there?? Can anyone help?
    Thanks for taking the time to read my frustration..

I think its wrong that these people search sites claim completely free but there not I haven't found one yet...

Thanks again
    Tammy stewart
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinemw2 View Post
    i was adopted at about 14 mos old in 1973. i have been searching for my birth father for all my life.. my birth mother can barely remember his name sadly to say..i have been continuously been searching online for him with no luck at all and the reason for that is all these people search sites claim they are completely free so you enter all your info about person your searching for and then they show you they have found say 20 names get you all excited then when u go to view the info BOOM all go to another page wanting money.. no matter which one i have entered my search for him in they are all wanting money even though the guarantee free searching they dont tell you that u wont be able to view what u do find.. i think this is very cruel especially to adopted children who r now adults and want to search for parents..everytime i hit a wall cause well i can't afford what they want one company called me and got me all excited promising to find him then give me the price of $600..is there any help out there is ther anyone who actually helps adoptees find there birth families for low cost or free??..theres just no feeling like when there is something missing.., i will never fill complete not knowing who he is or just to have a picture.. well my birth name was tammy abreu i believe and my bfather's name is bernard or bernie hawkins or may just sound like hawkins, i know he would be at about 70 yrs old today if he is still alive.and he was in orlando florida is where he from. my birth mother told me she saw my birth father a few yrs back at a store in orlando fla but she turned around and didnt say a word to him because she wasnt up to par with her appearance// my heart was crushed cause if he is dead that was my last chance to ever meet him... i was born at ORLANDO REGIONAL MEDICAL HOSPITAL IN ORLANDO FLA. MY DOB IS MAY 27, 1973. MY BIRTH MOTHERS NAME WAS SHARON.BUT SHE IS JUST NO HELP...she was 17 and he was 35 yrs old when she was pg with me..is there any help out there ???? can anyone help?
    thanks for taking the time to read my frustration ..

i think its wrong that these people search sites claim completely free but there not i havent found one yet...

thanks again
    tammy stewart

I would move this to missing persons - as far as the free sites, if the person is readily available, if the info is "fresh," then the sites are free. When you're going back 30 plus years it takes a lot of work to find someone.

The sites get their info from recent info on file concerning the person - a driver's license, a utility bill. If that name hasn't been used in some time the info will be either incorrect or non existent.

I have found several "Bernard Hawkins" names in that age range.

Have you tried one of the sites where adopted people and or birth parents can register, put the info on the site and then if one or the other reads it they can find each other - ?
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Dec 11, 2008, 05:42 PM
    I believe I may have found information on the Bernie Hawkins (74 yrs of age) possibly related to you. I am reluctant to merely submit information solely based on a name without anyway of linking the two of you together. Could there be any bit of information your mother may have confided with you which you can recall? Or even the year your mother last seen him in Florida.

Dec 13, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Well I know he was about 35 in 1973 when I was born.. everyone called him bernie or possibly ernie not sure of first name.. he was in orlando fla. He worked in carpentry or masonry type work... he lived with my biological mother most of her pregnancy with me which was in orlando called " KINGS VILLAGE" my biological mother sharon said she saw him at a store about yr 2000 maybe? I can't remember right now how long its been when she told me she seen him and didn't say anything to him... I just remember I was very angry with her for that... the place they lived in 1972-1973 was off orange blossom trail in orlando Florida.. if is the right hawkins he would know of me because I know he was notified of my adoption...

Dec 13, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Oh I also know the attorney s name that did the adoption was roger mcdonald.. I will ask birth mother sharon if she remmebers the yr she saw him last in orlando fla.. gem I'm not sure how to get messages to you so I'm hoping you come back and read this.. also when he lived with birth mother sharon in orlando she also already had a child .but I will Yahoo her and ask what yr it was when she saw him there..

Tyvm.:)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinemw2 View Post
    oh i also know the attorney s name that did the adoption was roger mcdonald..i will ask birth mother sharon if she remmebers the yr she saw him last in orlando fla..gem im not sure how to get msgs to you so im hopin you come back and read this.. also when he lived with birth mother sharon in orlando she also already had a child .but i will yahoo her and ask what yr it was when she saw him there..

tyvm.:)

Yes, everyone who posted on this thread is notified every time there's a new post so "Gem" will see this.

Dec 14, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Yes, sunshinemw2, as JudyKayTee has mentioned, there is a notification sent to everyone associated with the thread of any new post. I had to take a break from things to get a clear look at documents again. Things were beginning to run together on me. I am trying to find information on three (3) Hawkins in particular that will eliminate the others. Possibly finding a middle name would complete this sooner. I will, and am, still sorting information out for you. Hang in there.

Dec 14, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Wow thank you very very much... also I msg'd my bio mother to ask what yr it was she saw him in orlando last... she is clueless to a middle name..

Dec 15, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Is there anyway to possibly find out if the state of Florida would be the only listed state of residence?

Dec 15, 2008, 10:48 AM
    My birth mother is absolutely clueless I really have nothing on him.. but I will ask

Dec 15, 2008, 04:30 PM

Searching through the lists of "Ernie", "Ernest", "Bernie" and "Bernards's" I have yet to find any way to isolate the "Hawkins" associated with you. If you would like I can supply you with the information obtained during the searches for you. Please, be aware of the fact that he may or may not have been searching for you. Possibly contact with you will give closure after such a long period of absence. Rather than post any personal information on someone possibly not associated with your search I can send it to you through the private message option. I will leave the choice up to you.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 04:38 PM

Try adoption.org, adoption.com and ISSR.

These are reunion sites.

Keep in mind that he may have NO inclination to see you. You may be upsetting to his life at this point, and he may have valid reasons for not wanting to meet you.

Dec 16, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Gem you are indeed a true gem aren't you... tyvvm for wanting to help.. yes I've thought of all the different possibilities of how it could turn out.. I know he may not be interested in anything and that is OK.. is something that sooooooo needst o be done.. a chapter that needs to be closed... gem I would love the help.

Dec 16, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Ty synnen and yes I know the possibilities and I have thought about this my whole life it seems whether he's passed on or he's not interested is OK with me.. just need it no matter what

Dec 16, 2008, 05:28 AM
    Thank-you very much for your kind words. Collectively, there have been many great accomplishments. I do thank-you again but as you can tell, there is a wealth of information to render different opinions, while yet, being compassionate with ones request.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a piece of nostalgia [ 1 Answers ]

I recall a film from childhood(1950s), but have been unable to find out the title or any other information about it. From what I remember, it involved a little girl with a sick/dying parent. The child had been told that if a cow knelt down at midnight on Christmas Eve, a miracle would happen. ...

What is the name of this piece? [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the shut off valve under the bathroom sink, well the little metal piece that prevents the adapter of the shut off valve from sliding off the pipe is broken. I need to know what the name of this piece is please, and where can I get a new one? Thanks in advance!

Math puzzle: piece missing? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm no longer fluent in math :rolleyes: but retain some ability in algebra after all these years... Still, I'm having trouble setting up a problem from a puzzle calendar that a friend gave me. It seems like a piece is missing, although I'm not entirely convinced that's true. Here's the quote:...

View more questions Search