Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused25 Posts: 319, Reputation: 98

Dec 11, 2008, 12:51 AM
    How Does A Burn Heal?
    Hey Everyone!

On Sunday my girlfriend got a pretty bad burn on her hand when she was using some very hot water. The skin was initially a dark red (no blisters) but over the past few days it has turned purple (like a bruise color). The burn covers a pretty large portion of the top of her hand. She saw a doctor on Tuesday and she said it was going through the normal healing process.

I felt better after hearing that, but I would like to know if someone could tell me what stages the skin goes through when healing from a burn. I would like to be able to keep an eye out for any possible complications that could occur during the healing process. Thanks for the help!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 01:55 AM

OK, let's think about it a bit:

Burns over a large area. First think about what happens with sunburn. Red. Stinging. Tighening of the skin. Peeling.

Small area burns: They usually hurt. Get red. Eventually blister. Turn white and develop a clear fluid under them.

The more intense the burn the deeper the damage. If it's very deep it will bruise because the capillaries will be damaged under the surface.

During the healing process, it is important to keep the area clean and moist. A good product to aid this process is 2nd skin burn pads.

I'm not going to guess what "large area" is in this case. 2" x 3"? Or 4" x 4"

It could also form a scab.

Soaking in cool water will be good for it.

Play games with any wound and it will heal quit fast. Clean. Moist. Cover. Air. Anti-bacterial ointment. All at the right times.

No sure of the process, but I instictively do it or tell someone what to do based on what the wound looks like.
    I don't have a flow chart.

What should have happened is that cold water should have been run over the hand immediately. The faster the better. This generally prevents major tissue damage.

Major advice. If a blister appears with a clear fluid, DO NOT POP IT. Attempt to make it go down in other ways such as soaking in Epson salts and water or neosporin.

Blue or red streaks traveling up the arm are very bad.
    Been there. Done that when I was about 6.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is a steam burn worse than a hot water burn ? [ 18 Answers ]

I would like to have the answers in short abou t the following : a) Why asteam burn is worse than a hot water burn? b) A pressure cooker cooks food faster c) A car cooling system is usually pressurized d)An astronaut needs a pressurized space suit all round his body e)It is difficult to make...

What can I do to heal or should I try [ 4 Answers ]

We were in a relation for 7 years ,we were always fighting together and 20 days before our marriage we ended the relation cause he family forced us to do so cause of some financials they wanted as a commitment on me and I refused , then after 2 months I tried to get her back and she refused then I...

Trying to heal but hardly. [ 2 Answers ]

I thought that my ex and I were a good match when we first got together but after my pregnancy occurred I decided because of his disinterest that it was best to end our relationship. Before our relationship dissolved and the birth of our son, I cared for his children also, so it was important to me...

How do I heal? [ 3 Answers ]

When I was 16 years old I had a baby boy named Charlie. He lived for 3 and 1/2 minutes before he died of severe brain trauma due to a car accident 3 days prior. I am now 21 years old and everyday I think of him and my heart breaks. I don't want to get pregnant again because I don't know if I could...

Can't burn cds but DVDS burn fine [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hi there I have looked through the relevant forum pages and couldn't find the answer so here goes.I have a Sony DVD RW DW -D22A (cd rom drive)if I want to burn any DVD fine no problems but a different matter for cdrs.If I put a blank cdr into the drive and then try to burn all that...

View more questions Search