Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Kids being taught to fight back!
    How do you feel about kids being taught to defend themselves in school against someone with a gun?

In Georgetown, Massachusetts, they are teaching kids what to do in case something happens while they're in school after hearing that Florida is implementing this technique.

I think it is a good/bad idea but you never know what could happen. They would be taught to use textbooks, chairs, or anything around them to defend themselves. In this day and age you have to take every precaution because you never know what could happen. Teaching kids what to do in situations like this will make them prepare because people commit crimes against kids and those that do will have no problem going into a school full of kids.

Here is the article:
    http://foxnews.proteus.com/content.html?contentId=18187
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 09:27 PM

The problem I have with these teaching things is that when it is really happening it is very likely going to be very different than what they were taught and in actuality is it, as the article says 'going to escalate or neutralize the situation'
    Often you don't know until it is too late.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 10:18 PM

I see you figured out how to get your baby's pic up :D
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 10:38 PM

Yeah, I tried to upload pictures to my other thread but I gave up so I used one as my avatar.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:59 AM
    If I chose to teach my child self defense that is my business. Not sure I see the utility of a bunch of elementry school kids tossing their books when they feel threatened.

Georgetown Police Chief James E. Mulligan told FOXNews.com the proposed technique was intended to be a "last ditch" thing to be used in cases where a gunman has been able to thwart police and get inside a classroom alone with students.
    And this leaves it up to the child to determine when the situation necessitates a last ditch response ?

I agree with this comment :
    "It has a high risk and higher probability of escalating a situation than it would to neutralize the situation."

Better idea would be to approve teachers with carry permits to pack .
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 04:00 PM

How sad that it has come to this...
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 05:26 PM

Yes it is sad that it had to come to this and I am this idea really don't sit well with me. Even though you want to have your child prepare for anything I think anyone is capable to fold under pressure.

Maybe they should start putting cops in all the schools who are train in situations like this but with today economy I doubt this would happen. I know here in New York Mayor Bloomerberg is making all city agencies take a 7% cut, including cops and firefighters.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    Yes it is sad that it had to come to this and I am this idea really don't sit well with me. Even though you want to have your child prepare for anything I think anyone is capable to fold under pressure.

Maybe they should start putting cops in all the schools who are train in situations like this but with today economy I doubt this would happen. I know here in New York Mayor Bloomerberg is making all city agencies take a 7% cut, including cops and firefighters.
    Ive got an idea but you won't like it.. :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 05:38 PM

What is your idea?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my kids back? [ 6 Answers ]

I was married to an abuser who had me drop out of school in the 10th grade. Straight out of my parents house and married him I had to divorce as he almost killed me.I ran with my kids and my life and started a new until 2000 my sons grandparents came to pick up my two sons for visitation. I wasn't...

Self taught unqualified [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, Im 24 living in the UK. I have GCSEs and AS levels. Currently in a dead end job in a call centre. I am always learning new things and have a lot of skills, but because I have taught myself I have no qualifications of certificates to show for them. These include, Graphic...

How can I get my kids back? [ 1 Answers ]

Let me start by saying I am 21 years old and my children are almost 3 and 4. The father and I signed the children over to the grandparents in October of 2006. It has been almost a year and I have moved to Grants Pass, they live in Vernonia. I feel like I am ready to have my kids now. Im afraid...

View more questions Search