Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonamegirl2020 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 09:20 PM
    Landline rings once then goes to fax tone
    My landline rings only once after which it goes to fax tone. If you pick up in that ring or else you will hear the fax tone. Even the caller hears a fax tone.

I DO NOT have a fax in my house or ever used this number for fax.

Please help. I have tried everything. Called the ATT company people- they said they is no problem from their end. Tried removing all phones from 2 jacks I have in the house. The problem comes back.

Please HELP. Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 10:46 PM

Do you have an alarm system or a personal emergency response system. It may be set to remote program mode.

Also check for any computers with modems attached to the phone line. They could be sent to auto-answer.

Dec 10, 2008, 10:53 PM
    Thank You for your response.

I do have an alarm system in the apt. but do not know how it is connected to my phone. Could you please help on this?

I will really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 11:25 PM

Hopefully our alarm expert will find this thread, but for the time being:

What is the make and model number of the alarm system?

Did you have a power glitch that you can remember when it started to happen.

Some alarms answer the phone if you call and then call back right away. There MAY be others with a "remote programming switch" or mode.

Remote programming allows an alarm monitoring company to make changes to the dialer and configuration.

Alarm systems can be self-contained or have a keypad and a controller elsewhere.

You have to tell us what you know.

Dec 10, 2008, 11:31 PM

Hi.

The alarm system is First Alert Professional Model FA260. I do not remember a power glitch. But mine is not connected to the monitoring company.

I have a box with keypad within the house.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 07:02 AM

If you don't have Monitoring, I would unplug the 31X Jack(8 conductor phone jack) at the alarm Panel.
    May need a phone or Alarm person to connect correctly or bypass panel.
    Doesn't sound like it is wired correctly, as it doesn't seize your line(should go dead).
    Can you open alarm panel?

Do you recognize any of the boards on the first link:
    http://www.mircom.com/catsheets/fire...0/CAT-5684.pdf

http://www.shopsecurity.com/index.ph...&productId=807
    This system MUST have line seizure if monitored, if Local Only(siren), then phone should be disconnected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landline rings once, goes to busy signal [ 3 Answers ]

This problem just started. Incoming calls ring once and the caller gets a busy signal. When I answer, it is just a dial tone. If I grab it quickly, I can get the call. I have tried the outside access and it works fine. We have about 8 jacks in the house, dial up internet, and dish network. I have...

Phone rings, DSL works, but no dial tone [ 4 Answers ]

My landline is doing something odd. The DSL works just fine and the filters are installed correctly, but I have no dial tone. The phone will ring and caller ID works, but when I pick up there's nothing. When I hang up it continues to ring. This is happening on all the jacks. I have tried...

Landline phone DSLyes but no audio dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, All of a sudden (high wind weather went through the other night). Coincidence maybe. Now singlr line phone system has DSL that still works but audio / dial tone do not work. Unplugged all phones and plugged back in one at atime and still no dial tone. Opened box on out side and...

No Dial Tone, But When Calling Rings and Rings [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a two line jack that was working fine a few days ago, but now Line 2 has no dial tone and when calling, it rings and rings. Also, on my Panasonic 2 line phone (KX-TG2740), the line shows up as off the hook, except when I try a test call to the number. Tried another phone and...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search