Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jansen88 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 08:38 PM
    My hamster has become mean
    My hamster is mean it is a female. And I used to hold her until she bit me. Do you think she will do it again or should I just leave her alone. Or wear a glove.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Dec 16, 2008, 11:15 AM

Was she with a male or could she possibly be pregnant? If its unusual for her to be mean, and there is the possibility of it, then that is likely the problem, although I will say I'm not a huge hamster fan myself. As a species they do have a tendency to bite. I've worked at pet stores in the past and I have been bitten by literally hundreds. I personally prefer mild natured gerbils or rats.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 11:35 AM

Did you try to pick her up when she was sleeping or cornered? You really need to give hamsters a good warning that they are about to be picked up, they hate being surprised. Also if they flip onto their backs do not touch them, that is their ultra defensive position.

With animals it is important to judge their body language for signs of stress, fear or aggression, all of which can make even the nicest animal bite.

How long have you had this hamster, is she new or was she completely tame before?
    GmodGuy757 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 06:32 AM
    I have the exact problem. Except I have had to completely neglect my relationship with my hamster due to the fact then as soon as I go in the cage to do anything he'll bite and bite and bite. Right now, as I write this, I'm holding a tissue on my finger because it's been bleeding for the past 45-60 minutes. I know it sounds horrible but I ****ing hate my hamster, he has no place in my family anymore.
    GmodGuy757 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 01:30 PM
    Wow, I just realized how nasty the things I said are. I feel really bad now. But, today, I bought some yoghurt drops (treats) for him and now I'm starting to bond A LOT more with him. Good ol' Stigg (yep, stigg with 2 g's. My mum named him) having mood swings.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 12:56 PM

Old thread.

Closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My hamster [ 7 Answers ]

My hamster seams like he has a sickness. He is shaking is cold, getting thin and doesn't want to eat anything even his favorite foods! WHAT DO I DO!? :(

Hamster fat beyond belief! WHAT DO I DO! [ 3 Answers ]

My hamster is really really old he is fat or bloated I can't tell!! :confused: It doesn't look normal all his fat is at his thighs. He's extremely lazy and only gets out of his nest if he has to go to the bathroom, eat, or drink. I have a wheel inside his cage but he doesn't use it!! :mad: ...

Hamster [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm just wondering. I have a female syrian hamster and she is 8 weeks roughly mmmm She is vey nervous and she has bit me once but I want to tame her. Do you know why they make growling noises because she is doing that when she bites the bars and scratches. Plus I want to get her used to...

Hamster Qs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a friend, he says a lot of things... The other day he said a hamster could kill a rat by jumping on its back and biting its neck. This seems a bit silly to me, the largest animal I could find that they eat using Google was locusts. Does this actually happen or is he making things...

Hamster babies [ 3 Answers ]

My friends hamster just died and we need to know what to do with the babies, or how to keep them alive. How did it die? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

View more questions Search