Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JJOHNSON27 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 08:12 PM
    "pressure switch open with inducer on?
    I have an intertherm propane furnace, new in 2006 we just turned propane back on for the year, and it won't light. The red light is blinking 2 times & indicates "pressure switch open with inducer on" however I have no idea what that means or how to troubleshoot to fix. It hums like always before it kicks on, but there is no flame. Propane is on, ignition switch is on... any ideas? Please Thank u
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 10, 2008, 08:17 PM

Your pressure switch is more than likely stuck close. Your system will not fire with this condition. It is a safety condition to prevent the unit from operating with the inducer not running and the pressure switch jumped/closed. Turn the system off and pull on wire to the switch. Start the unit and wait until the inducer starts. Give it a few seconds and attach the wire you removed. If the system fires then you will probably be replacing the pressure switch.
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 08:29 PM

There are two wires, pull both?

Dec 10, 2008, 08:30 PM

Negative. Pull only one. Either one you want.
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 08:35 PM

Turned off power, unplugged 1, turned power back on. Inducer motor came on, before plugged in, 2 lights flashed, plugged back in, 2 lights still flashing. Any other thoughts? P.S. Thanks for your help, single mom, xmas time. P.S.S Inducer motor is hot
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 08:37 PM

Also have thermostat set to heat, auto fan, and 80 (which should kick the heat on)

Dec 10, 2008, 08:38 PM

Inducer could be failing but that wouldn't explain why your system is telling you that the switch is closed. Did you wait about 10 seconds before plugging the wire back in?
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 08:42 PM

Its telling me the pressure switch is open with inducer on?? Same thing as switch is closed?
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Clear plastic tube on bottom left side was very dirty. Removed & it had water in it!? Possible problem

Dec 10, 2008, 08:46 PM

Very much a problem. If the tube has water in it then you are getting moisture backing up in the system. Is this a high efficiency unit?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 08:48 PM

Can you hear water in the inducer? If so,I'd say the drain is plugged and not letting the water out of the inducer,thus it won't pull the pressure swith closed.
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 08:48 PM

Yeah
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 08:51 PM

I got the water out of the "j" tube & replaced. Anything further I should do?
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 08:51 PM

Does the plastic tube connect to the inducer?
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 08:53 PM

Remove the end of the tube that connects to the inducer,and blow through it. Does it feel plugged?
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 08:54 PM

The tube runs from the bottom of furnace, up to the black plate that the inducer motor is mounted on (from diagram looks like that plate is called the "front header box"?
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 08:56 PM

Ok,remove the tube from the black plate and blow through that end.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Once you think you have the drain clean,power the furnace back up and see what happens. Does the motor seem to be running really slow? Can you hear the water slushing?
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 09:00 PM

Did that, wasn't clogged. Also blew through small gray hose that goes from gas regulator, up to pressure switch. It made a clicking noise up at the pressure switch when I blew into the bottom of it by the gas regulator.
    -

Dec 10, 2008, 09:03 PM
    How would u like me to fire? Should I have gas ignitor to on, fan on, power on, and then turn thermostat on to see if it lights (normal startup) and does the front panel have to be on to have it work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure switch stuck open [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is julie and I have a goodman furnace and the red lights blinks 3 times telling me that my pressure switch is stuck open is there anything I can do? Or do I need to buy a new one

York Heater - Pressure Switch Stuck Open [ 4 Answers ]

I have a York heater that won't heat our second floor. The indicator LED light flashes three times which means the Pressure Switch is Stuck Open. Is there a way I can fix this myself? If so, how? Thanks in advance for any help. John

Diagnostic lights indicate pressure switch open because of reduced flow [ 1 Answers ]

My Carrier furnace is not starting for the first time this fall. The Diagnostic lights indicate pressure switch open because of reduced flow. Is there a re-set switch or some way to diagnose this problem. Is it possible there is something blocking flow? What can I do with this? In researching...

Amana 80 sseII, Pressure Switch stuck open! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Amana 80 SSE II furnace 5 years old which is giving me an error of pressure switch stuck open. (red light flashes three times). Any ideas as to trouble shooting the problem. The vacuum tube to switch is clear. Can I test the switch to know if it is working correctly. Any other ideas...

Pressure Switch is open [ 1 Answers ]

My heater was working fine this past winter. And I even turned it on in October once and it was working fine. I live in a mobile home and have an Intertherm heater. It keeps telling me the pressure switch is open and won't turn on. I don't even know what the pressure switch is! It does the...

View more questions Search