Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 05:36 PM

Just checking in,I'll check back shortly to see if you are around.
    bryantfurnacer Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Dec 11, 2008, 06:13 PM

Hi my friend,
    I was wondering if all that water that drained out of the collector box last night when I took off the pressure switch drain tube indicated that maybe the drain trap or some part of the drain tubes were clogged.
    Im not sure how to clear out the drain trap.
    Just to test this idea, when I got home I took off the same tube again, the one from the pressure switch to the collector box. Again, water flowed out of the tube and the collector box, 2 cups at least.
    Then I took the inducer housing drain tube off its drain plug. Nothing came out there.
    I am thinking there should not be so much standing water in the collector box, something must be stopping it from draining. Does this sound right to you?
    Do I need to go to the drain trap now?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:10 PM

The trap should be flushed at the beginning of each heating season as part of the required maintenance for the unit. If you experienced condensate migrating through the pressure switch tubing, the switch canister may have water inside and will eventually fail. Take the pressure switch off and give it a shake to see if water comes out. If so, I highly recommend replacing it. And, you're correct about water accumulating in the collector box-this is a sign that it is not draining properly.
    greghvacguy Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 08:45 PM

Sounds like too much water your trap is the white thing at the bottom of you pic. It hangs down into the blower compartment. Take it off and clean it out with water. And the hose coming off that going to the drain clean that out (flush water or blow it out)

Dec 12, 2008, 09:44 PM

Hi,

I think I got it, thanks so much for the invaluable help. Until I found this site, I was really bummed. I just did not have it in my budget for a $300 service call 2 weeks before Christmas. Would have been pretty thin pickins under the tree. Your helpful advice gave me the confidence to do it myself. Now I feel pretty handy.

Couldn't figure out how to get that drain trap out, so I took off the biggest tube, the collector box drain tube I think, and blew a bunch of water through the drain trap. I got a bunch of gunk out and when it seemed clear, I put the tube back on.

Turned on the furnace and it so far seems to be working fine.
    The first 10 minutes or so it ran, a gurgling sound came out of the drain tube, but it quit after a few minutes.

KC13, I don't feel confident enough to take the pressure switches off, but since the furnace seems to be running OK, do you think it is OK if I wait until spring to make a preventive service call? Christmas and all that...

Greg HVAC guy, do you work the northern suburbs, like Highland Park? That's where I am. If so, give me your co name and I'll call you then.

Than
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 09:57 PM

The question you must ask yourself is, do I feel lucky? Well do you? C'mon man, you've come this far, check those switches! If you look closely at the pressure switch hoses, they should have labels to identify where they go. The switch assembly mounts to the front of the inducer with two 1/4" zinc-plated screws (yellowish color). Take 'em out, pull the labeled hose off the tee in back, and shake the switch assembly. If you hear water inside, drain out as much as possible and replace the switch assembly as soon as possible. If not, then answer yourself-yes, I do feel lucky!

Dec 12, 2008, 10:15 PM

Well, it is supposed to warm up this weekend, so I guess I could shut the furnace down for an hour or two.
    When you take those screws off, the 2 switches and the bracket all come off in one piece? I don't have to take the wires off the front?
    If I hear water, I'd drain it out the holes where the rubber tubes connect, I guess?
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 10:21 PM

Yes, the switches are an assembly. If one is bad you replace both. No need to remove wires yet, just the screws and the hose on the back so you have enough movement to detect water if present. Confidence! Or draw a pic, works just as good...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Plus 80 Error code 33 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I'm new on here so bear with me. I found a similuar post on the Bryant 80 but I believe I have a different model... not sure how much that matters. The only model number I could find on the unit was CK5AXA036017AAAA The Error code is 33 Limit or flame roll out switch is open. The furnace...

Bryant plus 80 code 33 and cycles [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a ten year old bryant plus 80 furnace that, reads a code 33 while it cools, it is a solid while fired up but it constantly cycles. I've checed the condenser it looks clean on both top and bottom , filter is clean, all returns are open. Would making anouther return somewhere in the...

Bryant Plus 80 Code 33 [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Bryant Plus 80 that is throwing a error of 33 (limit or flame roll out switch is open). The last time this happened was because the hot surface igniter was broken (frequent problem as my furnace has a tendency to short-cycle). I had picked up a couple extra ones so I had them on hand to...

Still have error code on Bryant gaspac 8 flashes [ 6 Answers ]

For Northernheat Still getting code of 8 led flashes. Have checked the flame sensor not cracked or touching anything and is in the flame. The only time that it seems to happen is when the temp gets colder like 32/34 after being 38/40. The LED error code states Internal control fault ...

Bryant 383KAV error code 34 [ 1 Answers ]

After reading a couple of posts, I cleaned the flame sensor. When that didn't work, I bought a new one and installed it. I am still getting the same code. The burner lights for approximately 3-5 seconds, then cuts off. The thermostat is calling for heat. What am I missing?

View more questions Search