Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frank crane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Second US income on H1-B
    Hi, I am a writer on H1-B, and recently I did some freelance work (filed taxes for all money received).

Is this OK, am I allowed to have this kind of second income while on H1-B.

If not, what do I do next?

Please advise,
    FC
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 7, 2006, 06:06 PM
    FC:

My opinion: do nothing! Freelance work technically is a violation of your H-1B visa, but if the amount of money earned are not too great, I doubt it will make any difference.
    frank crane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 04:54 PM
    Thanks ATE. I'm doing the freelance writing mainly as a hobby, the money involved is less than $ 1,000 per month. Is that considered substantial?

Should I drop the whole writing thing altogether?

FC
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 10, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Personally, I would NOT drop it, especially if you enjoy it and are properly reporting the income.

However, its effect on your H-1B visa status is a LEGAL question, not a tax question, and I am not an attorney.

If I were you, I would access on of the websites that offer advice on visa matters and pose your question on their forum(s).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get out of dbt with next to no income [ 4 Answers ]

My friend is approx 50,000 in debt, is trying to make ends meet trading on line. Debt was incurred primarily through closing a photo business and living expenses since then. His only work experience in in the photo production business, prior to digital. 57 years old. If he should go for...

Income during F1-OPT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian student. I had an income 7500$ during OPT in 2005, on which tax was deducted. This was from working at my university. Later I changed back to F1 because I went for PhD. Is this income completely tax exempt? My total income during 2005 is 12,000$.

Income Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All Is relocation expenses exempted in income tax in India. Ex. If you spent Rs10000/- on relocation and your employer reimbursed only Rs5000/-. Is all 10000, or only diffrence 5000, or nothing is exempted.

Fed and PA income tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are living in income tax free Florida and are considering to move to PA. PA has a flat rate of 3.07 income tax, no deductions. Is the state income tax an deductible on the Fed Income tax?

Tax on 2nd income [ 2 Answers ]

Hi :) My husband I currently work full time jobs, but I'm considering a second job as a mystery shopper. I would receive 1099's at the end of the year from each company that paid me over $600 during the year. The pay for shopping is generally between $5 to $25 per shopping experience...

View more questions Search