Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmebravo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Foul smell from tub
    Hello, I have been experiencing a foul smell coming from my sons bathtub. It seems to be coming from the round trap on top of the drain. I have unscrewed it and poured bleach into the pipe but the odor comes back. It smells like a gassy, faucet smell, mind you it's a one year old tub. Please help me. I don't know what to do. Evelyn in Miami, Fl.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 06:15 PM

The smell is from the hair and the soap, You say you have tried bleach correct, when you poured the bleach did you wait over night and did you poured hot water the next day if not do this tonight before you go to bed, pour 1/4 of a of a gallon beach and let it stay in the drain, when you get up in the morning pour a bucket or 2 of very hot (boiling) water in to the tub and turn on the faucet to flush out the hair and soap, if this would not help, get back to us we tell you else needs to be done, Good Luck.

John

Dec 11, 2008, 12:44 AM

Thank you will try that.
    watsoncarter Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 01:35 AM

When you unscrew drain do you see water?May have leak in p-trap or no trap at all.P-trap is water seal to keep sewer gas from backing up.Did you install new plumbing yoursself?

Dec 11, 2008, 04:02 AM

No, I don't have any water, but maybe the person that remodeled my bathroom didn't put a trap. He is an older man and is sick now. However thank you and I will look into that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmebravo View Post
    Hello, I have been experiencing a foul smell coming from my sons bathtub. It seems to be coming from the round trap on top of the drain. I have unscrewed it and poured bleach into the pipe but the odor comes back. It smells like a gassy, faucet smell, mind you its a one year old tub. Please help me. I dont know what to do. Evelyn in Miami, Fl.
    Hi Evelyn! Greetings from Sarasota.
    John was bang on, the smell comes from rotting hair and grease. To make sure the drain line's clear the best way is to snake the drain, (see image).
    Unscrew and remove the overflow plate,(The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper. You now have a clear shot at the trap. The way you were going in through the drain it ran you square into a tee that you can't get around. Now feed the cable( 1/4" best or 3/3" with a small tip. You can rent a Ridgid K50 sink cable.) About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouldn't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. I have found tub and shower clogs to be mostly hair and the worm should auger into it and pull it back. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. TOM

Dec 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Tom,, thanks for the info, however we have done that already, we ran the snake through the pipes and the smell went away for a couple of weeks or maybe more but now its back. Do you think there is something wrong with the pipes. The plumber we use is an older man and he brought an electric snake and said pipes were clean. I can't figure out what it could be. Do you think there could be a crack in the pipes. Evelyn

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul smell in front entrance to home-onion smell [ 6 Answers ]

A really weird smell, like rotten onions, quite embarrassing because my home is kept spotless everyone comments on the smell right when they walk into the house. There is a shower stall in a bedroom above this entrance but we have snaked it and poured drain cleansers down it and also stopped using...

Well water with really foul smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a well with a Fleck 5600 water softener and Fleck 5600 carbon filter. The carbon filter has a chlorine tank for cleaning. Recently the carbon tank timer "had its issues" and was out of business for a week or two and not able to clean the carbon. I replaced the brine valve piston and...

Foul smell [ 1 Answers ]

Help!! When I turn on the airconditioning my whole house smells like cat urine. And yes I do have cats,but this has only started about 1 month ago,and I have had the cats for 10 years

Foul Smell [ 11 Answers ]

I've owned my house for about 7 years now. The house is about 22 years old. Recently I ve had black particles coming out of the toilet when flushed and also, at times I smell a sewer smell coming out of my kitchen sink. The smell only stays for a couple of seconds. Can anyone tell me what I should...

View more questions Search