Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 04:08 PM
    An Alarm for indicating the newspaper has arrived
    OK, I need a device that will indicate that the newspaper has arrived, and is sitting in the tube next to the mail box.

Walking out every morning to get the paper, never know it is there until I dredge through the ice, snow, and mud is getting old.

Going out more than once because it is late is getting even more frustrating.

I don't mind during the spring and summer, probably the only exercise I get.

Is there such a thing? Or could one be made?

All it needs is a limit switch to be activated by the paper sitting on it.

The switch would need to activate some sort of RF device, with a matching transmitter inside, say with a green light, that would be on once the outdoor unit was triggered.

Kiss? Strat?

Either of you know this technology.

Any ideas?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 10, 2008, 04:29 PM

Either of us... LOL. Yes, we have 500 heads. If you find out please patent it as I am sure, tkrussel a device such a thiss would be in high demand. Although I don't have to look for my paper, my 'paperman' tosses it all the way up my driveway and hits my door and it lands on my porch. I don't know how he does, he must be about 80 !

Only downside is when this happens it is 5 am and the dog starts barking ! That's how I now my Toronto Star is here in rural Ontario.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2008, 04:34 PM

You are lucky you have a tube and it gest inserted. My delivery person just tosses it on the driveway. I'm luccky if he double bags it on wet days.

Do you really something that flashes in the house? Wouldn't a light on the pole or back of the tube do the job?

There are any number of ways you could trip a circuit by inserting the paper into the tube. Then just activate a bulb mounted to the pole.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 05:01 PM

A neighbor of mine(growing up)was an inventor,he designed and produced an automatic 'mail-is-here' mailbox,it automatically showed him when the mail was in the box.

If that could be done(and patented) anything can.

Tell you what,you design it,I'll patent it,and we'll make Ask Me the sponsors,heck we could even advertise in here for it!

Yeah,like that's going to float... :p
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 06:32 PM

Hey get the newspaper person to deliver it with an RFID tag like the ones they use in the stores.

OK, the stupid suggestion is out, Can you post a pic of your mailbox? There are "mail has arrived" wireless devices out there.

I have too much going on right now, so in case I need a break and need something to do before going to bed, I'll think about it.

There is no power at the mailbox, right?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Loox at the X-10 website. They have countless devices which are wireless that may fit your application. Smarthome is another supplier which may have what you need, but you may have to do some modifications.
    X-10.com
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Example (for a few minute search):

X10 Mailbox Sensor - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

I know I can find something better.
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 10:38 PM

Mail Box Alert

Mail Box Mail Alert with Chime Model 1200 HP-1200

The manufacturer (I think): http://www.mailchime.com/

I hate when they don't tell you how it works. Just a sensor. Probably a "jiggle sensor"
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 12:16 AM

Here are some other ideas:

Household Alert Skylink System < >
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Dec 11, 2008, 12:27 AM

Huh, that's pretty slick for a mailbox. It appears to need to move to activate. The problem I'd have though is every newspaper box I've seen has an open front with no door. Maybe if you modified it to use a motion detector mounted in the box?

Or just go low tech and rig a mechanical solution. I read about a guy that just used a block of wood attached to a dowel that would get pushed out of a hole in the back of the box when the paper was inserted. Paint the dowel some easily visible color and you are all set. Then again, low tech isn't as much fun.
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 12:50 AM

Yea, low tech is cool too. The second link using the window sensor is really close to what tk envisioned.

I'm thinking of a more complex sensor made from an array of tactile switches such as these.

SWT6-V7K

The idea would be that it would not take up much height and a small piece of say copper clad PC board material (to give rigidity) Say a PCB sandwich with enough switches to support the weight. You might need a few locator pins.

You can get a bit that will remove some copper clad, so you can use a double sided board as the sensor. The top being one side of the switch and the bottom the other.
    In one case you would remove some on the bottom and solder the top and vice versa.

This "SENSOR" would be very thin. The top can have a bondable teflon sheet epoxied to it. Put just a little forward facing slope to it to allow it to drain.

Sensor would not be cheap.
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 05:40 AM

Here is the particulrs/manual for the Houselink receiver:

DIY Security Systems | Home Security System | Home Alarm Systems | Home Alert Systems

Looks like the microswich/sensor idea would work.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 05:54 AM

I might be a little late on this one, but there's a motion sensor that you can buy, and various lights, alarms and whatnot, at Menards. I'm sure they have them other places too. I'm really sorry I don't remember the brand name but there were all sorts of pieces that you could buy. The one in particular that I'm thinking of is a piece that plugs into the wall and you can plug something into it, a radio, a lamp, anything really. And when motion is detected (where ever you place the sensor- the sensor is also heat sensitive so it will go off for people, animals, etc. not for leaves or falling branches) whatever you have plugged into the outlet will turn on. All of the pieces are remote so there's no wiring involved. It was really a cool idea. If I remember the brand name I'll get back on here and let you know.
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 06:04 AM

Wireless command. That's the brand. I'm betting all you would need is a wireless sensor and something that would plug into an outlet and you'd be set. MCT201WP - Visonic Waterproof Miniature Pendant Wireless Tran - Home Security Store
    Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 06:17 AM

Hi ZoeMarie, our neighbour who hates our dog put in camera sensor that makes a high pitched sound when she barks. The only thing wrong is, he put it in at the front corner of his house where she isn't. We didn't know what it was when we heard this clicking sound and thought it was some kind of surveillance equipment that this nutcase had set up, so called the police. Who went over and found out it was for dog barking. It is irritating to say the least !
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Hi ZoeMarie, our neighbour who hates our dog put in camera sensor that makes a high pitched sound when she barks. The only thing wrong is, he put it in at the front corner of his house where she isnt. We didnt know what it was when we heard this clicking sound and thought it was some kind of surveillance equipment that this nutcase had set up, so called the police. Who went over and found out it was for dog barking. It is irritating to say the least !
    The clicking? Or the dog barking? The motion sensor doesn't make any noise. And like I said you could plug anything into that outlet. A lamp would be good, doesn't make any noise, just turns on.
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 06:47 AM

I have the motion sensor thing that I got at Lowe's. It's exactly like you said. A wireless motion sensor and a module that plugs into an outlet.

It has a chime mode or different times that the outlet can be live for.

I mount it indoors for my elderly mom to turn on a small nightlight when you walk in the living room. Once you sit down and it times out, it's off because your not facing it.

It is designed for a light, so there is a photo-cell that won't turn it on in bright light.

If not mounted high, it might just "dissapear" frequently.

The sensor that's constantly on creates a battery drain on the transmitter, possibly depending on how it's designed.

If the events transmitted are switch open or switch closed then your OK, but if there is a continuous transmit for an event, then it sucks the juice out of the transmitter battery.
    Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 09:39 AM

ZoeMarie it isn't a motion sensor. It is some kind of sensor to deter a barking dog. Didn't you get that out of my post ? It doesn't work, it doesn't stop her barking. I wasn't posting about your sensor.
    jimjimmyjames Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 11:04 AM

I am thinking of a prebuilt wirless "Driveway Alert System" mounted to the side of your paper box. I think it would work perfectly.

Otherwise, my mind starts traveling to proximetry switches and the price tag starts getting too high too be feasible.
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 12:38 PM

Driveway alert typically detects metal objects.

The Houselink system might require a little bit of "glue logic", so that the continuous press causes a brief pulse and a little bit of reverse engineering the Keyfob.

Another possible sensor is a sliding plate with a spring with a little bit of tension.

In the OFF position, the plate in the rear is extended. Might be 4-5 inches. It's mounted on 4 linear bearings.
    It has very slight tension, such that with no paper it falls to a rest position.. With a paper, it pushes the plate back and the friction of the paper holds it toward the rear. Meanwhile there is a microswitch or alarm switch at the front of the plate.

Let's say you use the mailbox system. If a swirch works your fine, suppose it doesn't.

I think you can drill a large hole in the back plate and put a hinged door on the back. On that door mount the mailbox sensor. Have it so it's magnetically held in place and when you push it away, the hinge drops. To reset the hinge you put your fingers into the 2-3" hole and push the plate back up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kittens just arrived [ 6 Answers ]

My cat just 6 beautiful kittens and now she is moving them and running around with them in her mouth. I don't know what to do about that. I do realize that she is trying to find a safe place for them but how and what should I be doing about that I want to make sure they are safe this is her first...

W2's have not arrived [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't received any of my w2's yet and I have contacted my past employers and they said they mailed them out in January. How do I find them or get another copy?:confused:

Just arrived to the country with an H1B [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding US taxation: 1) If I start to work on Octuber 1st 2006 when do I have to pay taxes for year 2006? 2) Can I claim my wife and 2 kids as dependents if they have H4 visas? do they need an ITIN number? Regards, Javier Vazquez

View more questions Search