Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Noodles15 Posts: 57, Reputation: 9

Dec 10, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Friend's Grandmother is dying.
    I used to be very good friends with a person, I went down a bad path and lost touch with a lot of friends, my boyfriend stayed very good friends with the guy however. Recently the former friend and I began to patch things up, but we're by no means close. My boyfriend recently expressed that the friend's grandmother is dying and the friend is very lost, and feels like no one is supporting him in the hard time. I'd like to show him that I support him, but I'm not really sure how to go about this. Two of my grandparents died when I was very young, and I've been fortunate enough to, in my adult life, not yet have to experience someone I felt close to dying.

What is appropriate for me to say, or do to help him in his time of need?
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 02:06 PM

Death, by its very essence, draws people closer.

All you need to do is be honest. Tell him that despite your history, you'd like to be there for him during this time. Tell him that you regret that you haven't stayed close, but that you want to start new, fresh, and again.

Its good that you care to be there for him. That is going to speak volumes to him.

Be supportive, don't bring up old history. Start new.

I wish you the best.
    Noodles15 Posts: 57, Reputation: 9

Dec 10, 2008, 02:32 PM

Would it be most appropriate, to send an e-mail, have my boyfriend pass along a card, buy a card or make a card, have an IM chat, text, or phone call?
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 03:18 PM

I'd send a nice Thinking of You card, maybe with a Starbucks card that says, "Let's have coffee and catch up."

Email would be my second choice... email seems not all that personal to me, I guess I"m old fashioned.

Doing it by mail would show that you want to respect the fact that he may not want to communicate with you - you wouldn't "force" him to feel like talking if you did it over mail, but you would let him know that you really do want to be there for him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend's Grandmother is dying. [ 2 Answers ]

A used to be very good friend's with a person, I went down a bad path and lost touch with a lot of friends, my boyfriend stayed very good friends with the guy however. Recently the former friend and I began to patch things up, but we're by no means close. My boyfriend recently expressed that the...

Grandmother [ 1 Answers ]

I Have A 16 Year Old And I Am Getting Married I Am His Grandmother His Mothers Mother, And He Wants To Come And Live With Us When We Get Married May 3 What Does He Need To Do, Or What Can I Do?

MY friend's EX! [ 1 Answers ]

I need help on how to tell my firend how I feel about the way her ex I know he like her first really love like he was the one who told her he loves her 1st but is no excuse at how he treats her.. ok here's the story... my friend is my best firend and like she and her ex have been brokin up 4 about...

My Friend's Dog [ 4 Answers ]

My really good friend just got a 3 month old Bichon Frise/Chiwawa mix. I have a 1 yr. old female doxie. She is potty trained to go on pads and outside, but she still has mistakes once in a while. My friend brought his dog over and the dog peed in my house 5 times (all in different places in the...

Best friend's ex [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a best friend who went out with a girl I know for about a year and a half, and started seeing another girl immediately afterwards (it's been about 6+ months at this point), and I've been pretty good friends with her ever since he introduced me. I've always sort of had a thing for her and...

View more questions Search