Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zats Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Current but no Voltage, any ideas?
    Hi All,

I have a 110V, 20A household electrical circuit that has current but no voltage. If I shut down the circuit break and no voltage or current is present at a plug (checked with Volt/OHM meter as well as a Voltage/Current tester) and then turn on an overhead light (three-way switch) in the same room, current appears at the plug but still no voltage. If I disconnect the wire carrying the current, the overhead light goes out; if I then turn the circuit breaker on I have a Hot/Neutral Reverse condition at the plug. I am in the process of taking the wall down so I can trace the circuit at that time. I was just curious; I thought you needed voltage to have current. Any ideas as to way this is happening would be appreciated and will help shorten my troubleshooting time.

Thanks,

zats
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 10, 2008, 07:24 AM

It is a principal of electricity that you cannot have current flow without voltage.

Voltage pushes current through the conductor..

In Ohm's law this is symbolized by the following formula:

E = R/I.

What amount of current are you seeing?

Dec 10, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Don,

Thanks for the quick reply; I thought that was the case. There is enough current to power the six double fluorescent lights connected to the "other"circuit. I will measure the exact Amperage draw later today and let you know.

Much appreciated,

zats
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Dec 10, 2008, 11:53 AM

Neutral carries current but does not have voltage in relation to ground.

The two circuits may be sharing a neutral. Which would explain the current and lack of voltage. It also explains why lights on a different circuit would turn off if a wire at the receptacle is disconnected.

Dec 11, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tev View Post
    Neutral carries current but does not have voltage in relation to ground.

The two circuits may be sharing a neutral. Which would explain the current and lack of voltage. It also explains why lights on a different circuit would turn off if a wire at the receptacle is disconnected.
    Tev,

I think you are correct, it is the neutral wire that is carrying the current and that one neutral definitely affects both circuits. Probably why all the radios in the vicinity buzz when the lights are turned on... :( Any reason why this would be done? Could they have been trying to take a short-cut when installing the two-way switch in the room? There is plenty of capacity at the breaker box and it is fairly close.

Thanks for the help, I think I'll split the circuits off and give them both their own neutral.

-Dan-

Dec 11, 2008, 07:59 AM

If you are getting that much current, then there has to be a voltage on the line.

Set your meter to AC Voltage say around the 200 VAC range.

Now measure between the Black (red probe) and White (Black probe) I would expect that you see 120 Vac at a minimum.

Neutral is the return leg for current. Black carries the current to the load and white returns it to the electrical system.

Make sure you are measuring the correct black line to the correct white.

We really need much more information regarding what failure you are seeing and how you are testing for current and voltage.

Dec 11, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    If you are getting that much current, then there has to be a voltage on the line.

Set your meter to AC Voltage say around the 200 VAC range.

Now measure between the Black (red probe) and White (Black probe) I would expect that you see 120 Vac at a minimum.

Neutral is the return leg for current. Black carries the current to the load and white returns it to the electrical system.

Make sure you are measuring the correct black line to the correct white.

We really need much more information regarding what failure you are seeing and how you are testing for current and voltage.
    Hi Don,

I know what you mean and you would assume voltage on the line, but that is not the case, and what prompted my question.

In fact there must be voltage…as you state…it is just coming from another source/circuit.

I am a little familiar with the use of a Volt/OHM meter in it's testing of both AC and DC circuits for voltage/current/resistance/continuity. My Volt/OHM meter is a SCOPE DVM-632 Digital Multitester, with probes; I supplement my testing with an EXTECT Instruments DVA30 CAT-III Voltage and Current tester, a non-contact type and a GB Electrical Inc. GRT-500 circuit tester, a plug-in type.

All three testers indicate the same thing; no voltage. With the receptacle circuit breaker shut off, the overhead lights shut off at the switch (they are on a different circuit remember), and my SCOPE tester set in the 200V range, I get; .78V (less than 1V) using any combination of white (neutral) and black (hot) wires, and .00V (none) on white to white or black to black combinations. There are only two black Hot and two white Neutral wires at the outlet so it is easy to test all combinations; I can also see the cable so I am sure of which two go together. There is no amperage draw at that time (yes, I broke the circuit and used my probes for testing), the EXTECT confirms this. When I turn on the overhead lights the voltage does not change at the receptacle; no voltage, but the amperage draw changes to 14A on my SCOPE and the EXTECT goes nuts. Again no volts, lots of current.

Some additional information; the two-way switch the activates the overhead lights seem normal in all conditions of on or off, with the exception of a voltage drop when the lights are powered on; from 124V in the off position to 94V in the on position.

I do think Tev is onto something with his “shared neutral” theory and would indeed be the reason I see no voltage but current at the receptacle.

I hope this helps, please let me know what you think, any assistance is appreciated.

-Dan-
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Dec 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

The voltage is there, so current can flow. It's just a matter of which ungrounded wire you use to measure it. Use the ungrounded that has the breaker off and the voltage will read near zero. Use the ungrounded that has the breaker turned on and you'll read normal voltage.

Do yourself a favor when working on either of these circuits, turn both breakers off. With one on you could have the white wire running to the panel in one hand and the white wire running to the light in the other and the circuit becomes complete through you. If I were you I'd put these two breakers next to each other and use handle ties so they must be operated together. Or preferably since you are opening the wall anyway, get rid of the shared neutral so the circuits are completely separate.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 06:03 PM

Donf:

In post #2 you state that E=R/I; That's a big OOPS. V=IR or E=IR for the old folks who use Electromotiveforce rather than Voltage.

Dec 11, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tev View Post
    The voltage is there, so current can flow. It's just a matter of which ungrounded wire you use to measure it. Use the ungrounded that has the breaker off and the voltage will read near zero. Use the ungrounded that has the breaker turned on and you'll read normal voltage.

Do yourself a favor when working on either of these circuits, turn both breakers off. With one on you could have the white wire running to the panel in one hand and the white wire running to the light in the other and the circuit becomes complete through you. If I were you I'd put these two breakers next to each other and use handle ties so they must be operated together. Or preferably since you are opening the wall anyway, get rid of the shared neutral so the circuits are completely separate.
    Thanks Tev,

I guess it doesn't matter why it was done but it's not good. I never handle electrical wiring with both hands, in fact I wear rubber insulated gloves just to prevent any problems, but I'll gladly take your advice. Connecting both breakers together is a good idea but won't be necessary, as I mentioned earlier and you eluded too in your last post; I will be totally separating the two circuits. I knew this was a problem and would not have proceeded until I corrected it, and I appreciate your help in identifying the problem.

Thanks everyone and have a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year!

-zats-

Dec 11, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Donf:

In post #2 you state that E=R/I; That's a big OOPS. V=IR or E=IR for the old folks who use Electromotiveforce rather than Voltage.
    As you already know; you are correct Sir, thanks.

-zats-
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Dec 11, 2008, 07:53 PM
    <snip>In post #2 you state that E=R/I; That's a big OOPS. V=IR or E=IR for the old folks who use Electromotiveforce rather than Voltage.
    Hey! I resemble... err... resent that. I don't consider myself old, but I use E for voltage. Learned it that way in school back in the 70's. Well.. maybe to some I would qualify. :p

EPM
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:04 PM
    I would not necessarily say big oops,

Donf:

Since E=IR is the basis of the formal Ohm's Law expression, and Don may be showing his seniority.

However, I would agree not to use E when explaining theory to laypeople, and stick with Voltage.

I would also like to add that Resistance is seldom used by electricians in everyday Power, or should I say Watts, calculations.

And what about Intensity that means Amperes?

I don't want to bring up Volt-Amps here. May just confuse the issue.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:13 PM

tk:
    You needed to put your glasses on. The operator used by don was divide, rather than multiply and the quantity solved for was E. e.g E = R divided by I. That is a BIG oops.

We always talk about and IR drop, so that should be easy to pick up. But, we all have bad days, including me.
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Jeez Kiss, I just saw my mistake, but your too fast for me.

Your right, the " / " did not jump out at me.

I thought you were on Don for E and V substitution.

I came back to to retract my statement, as of course I did not see it at first, only after open mouth insert foot, and damn your quick.

Ok I deserve it.

Dec 12, 2008, 08:47 AM

Forgive the typo, for that was actually a typo. The point is that regardless of what is being said by the poster, you cannot have a current flow without Voltage (EMF) pushing the current.

Either this is a multiwire circuit or the circuit he is testing is being backfed.
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2008, 09:00 AM

Strictly speaking the "you cannot have current without voltage" is true 99.9% of the time and is true here.

The short circuit current parameter of a solar cell is indeed the current when the voltage is zero. It can be forced to operate there. The voltage is zero and the current is negative.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Dec 13, 2008, 07:49 PM

Somebody said "you cannot have a current flow without Voltage (EMF) pushing the current". What about the panel grounding conductor for the electrical service in my house? I've measured over 5 amps on it, but there is no voltage there. Now I know, it is the low side of a circuit, but it seems that the above quote should be qualified.

Dec 14, 2008, 07:00 AM

OK,

Set up an ohms law equasion with 0 volts and demonstrate for me a greater than 0 amperage, please.

I does not matter if there is even a trace of voltage, there still needs to be voltage to push a current through resistance.
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Don, the calculations will be irrelevant in dealing with AC power that is using a grounded conductor (AKA Neutral).

This is why standard theory and troubleshooting will only be on the Hot conductor.

There will always be measurable current in a Neutral conductor of an operating circuit in use, same as measured in the Hot conductor.

This is why a Neutral is considered as a Current Carrying Conductor by the National Electric Code.

However, since this is a Grounded conductor,there will not be, or should not be in a properly grounded/wired system with no wiring faults, any measurable voltage.

This wire has been grounded to insure the voltage in this conductor has been brought to Zero or Earth Potential, but still will have current flowing, as it the return for the circuit.

Once an open neutral develops, all bets are off, as the circuit is now operating abnormally, and troubleshooting methods need to change to the condition.

Troubleshooting AC circuits with a grounded conductor requires the knowledge of how and why the system is wired.

I still am not sure if I am explaining this sufficiently to help understand the why's and wherefores of current but no voltage in a Neutral, and why it is so important to have this understanding in giving advice on troubleshooting and theory.

An electrician understands without going into some much detail, it is something we just not accept but get, but so hard for us explain to laypeople without just saying Because We Say So.

We all got enough of that comment from our parents growing up.

This may help a bit:

May-June 2006: Current in the Grounded Conductor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Test for voltage or current on hot only? [ 9 Answers ]

Is there a way to test for current via the hot only? For example, could you test the black wire only, or do you have to have neutral or ground to test?

Who glow the bulb current or voltage?why? [ 3 Answers ]

My qustion is if there are one colsed circuit one battery and a lamp,then If the voltage to lamp is zero v=0 and current is some value greater than zero. Will the lamp glow? And in other case I=o and v= >0 will the lamp glow. In which case lamp will glow and why?

Capacitor voltage & current explained! [ 3 Answers ]

A 2k ohm resistor and a 25micro farad capacitor are connected across a50volt supply. Draw graphs,to show how the capacitor voltage varieswith time.and how the charging current varies with time.

Voltage feedback(current) [ 12 Answers ]

I work for a cable company and we have this phenomenon called voltage feedback. It breaks down into two parts. First part is we read an AC voltage between the coax and house ground, which we say is "floating voltage". Second part is where we grab the coax and touch the ground and get a "tingle". ...

Electricity-voltage,current,resistance [ 1 Answers ]

What is voltage,current and resistance? Thanks:) Would help a lot!

View more questions Search