Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tenseconddisaster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 07:01 PM
    91 honda 1.5 dx crx blows gas out intake
    I have a crx with 172000 miles on it. Here's the background.I got the crx about a year ago and have maintained the car well ( full sythetic oil, premium gas, fuel injector cleaner, c/a intake, headers). The problem started after I was flushing my coolant, cleaning the throtle body, and degreasing the engine. The car was running fine in the driveway but a quarter mile out and the car died. I couldn't get it to start, so I pulled the spark plugs, and what do I find? Cylinders 2 and 4 had oil on the spark plugs. I clean them of and put them back and try and start the car again. The starter was working fine and it wanted to turn over but then there was this loud pop coming from the intake manifold. So I push the car back to the driveway and get a ride to the parts store to get a valve cover gasket, a head gasket, valve stem seals ( to fix the oil problem), spark plugs and wires, and a new main relay ( I needed one because my fuel pump has been priming intermittantly). So after doing the whole engine tear down and rebuild (heads, valve train, timing, main relay), with all new rubber, the engine still won't start and is still sneezing gas out the mouth of the throttle body. I checked the compression(120-130), spark, and fuel injectors and all appeared normal. I guess I set the timing right but don't know for sure because the engine won't roll over but the pop was there before I took the engine apart. None of my mechanic friends have beenany help. Please someone have an idea about what is causing this crazy problem!

Aug 13, 2006, 01:43 PM
    So I got the car started but now it won't hold an idle and once the check engine light comes on the engine won't rev past 3500... the ecu error code is 4 (crankshaft position sensor) is my ecu screwed? The car still pops from somekind of back pressure in the intake. I checked for vacuum leaks but found nothing. I am losing hope for this car...
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 18, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Error code 4 means one of your distributor sensors is shot. You should get another dizzy and have someone time your engine.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Aug 21, 2006, 02:34 PM
    It sounds like you do a lot of unnescessary maintenance.

The main problem seems to be a result of removing the throttle body and cleaning the engine. An older engine that has much dirt does not like to be cleaned. It is hard on the wiring (water, grease and dirt short sensors, water pressure and mechanical force from cleaning brushes loosen wiring).

Oily plugs and raw gas seem to indicate ignition problems. I would start by checking for spark. Next, locate that faulty sensor and replace it.

You may even want to remove the fuse in the ECM to run the engine without any feedback.

Aug 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
    How do I remove the ecu fuse so that the engine runs but with no feed back. When I take out the fuse the motor dies.. oh and the timing is right on, tooth for tooth(checked with gun)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Furnace Blows Cold Air [ 18 Answers ]

This actually just started a day ago and I am trying to figure out as much as I can before calling a service person (if necessary). My apologies in advance if I am leaving out important details but I've never dealt with a faulty heater or A/C before. My central heater in the attic was running...

Cold Air Duct Return Blows Instead of Sucks [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I need your help. I have purchased a home that has a new Hi-Effency forced air furnace. The house has a 2 1/2 ft crawl space - no basement. The heating and return ducts are below under the floor boards of the house in the crawl space. The crawl space is insulated as are the ducts. My...

Gas furnace blows out cold air at night [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a problem that I haven't quite seen here and I have no idea how to search for it. Here's the deal: I have a gas furnace. I'm trying to save energy, so I got a new thermostat at the beginning of the fall. I set it to 68 when we're awake and in the house, and 60 after 10pm and...

17 1/2 hp mtd blows fuses [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my dad has an mtd 17 1/2 hp gear drive mower, just after he bought it, it started blowing the fuse. Warrentee took care of that one. That was six years ago, now its blowing fuses again. Replaced the fuse again, but then I installed wire loom on every wire I could get my hands on. The wires...

View more questions Search