Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheekyjonesy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Redemption Penalty
    Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice regarding my mortgage and a redemption penalty I will be facing due to an imminent change in property et.

My hands are tied it seems and I cannot hold of the move without losing the sale on the house.

There is one final payment left on my current mortgage (before it would have been due to be readjusted) - due in two weeks! - but my mortgage company don't seem to want to budge on waiving the fee partial or in full.

Are they being unreasonable? - or are they charging me because they just can? Is there an angle I can push as I plan to try and take the matter further but would like some advice before taking this action.

I'd really appreciate any advice out there...

Many thanks in advance
    Marcus:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2006, 05:32 PM
    They have their set rules and time frame, they have no reason to do it, why? They don't know you, they are not your local bank, and if you are selling the house they are going to lose the future interest they would have made on the loan.

A manager may be able to wave it ( or he may not be) depends on the company rules

And in the end it is their rules, I would have assumed you would have worked the fee into the selling house, since you had it listed during this period.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 7, 2006, 09:03 AM
    You have a Prepayment Penalty on your mortgage. From what you have stated, it is probably a "hard" Prepayment Penalty as opposed to a "soft" one which would allow you to sell the home without penalty. Check your original loan documents. The penalty will most likely be 6 months interest on 80% of your loan. Situations such as this make a strong case for reading your loan documents before signing them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal Entry for Redemption [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon all, Question: if a corporation retired $130,000 face value, 12% bonds on June 30,2005, at 102. The carrying value of the bonds at redemption date was $107,500. The bonds pay semiannual interest, and interest payment due on June 30,2005, has been made and recorded. could you...

401k penalty [ 2 Answers ]

First time homebuying classifies for the non pentalty right? How do they tax, before you receive it or add it to your yearly income come tax time.

Penalty [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question on behalf my friend: He came to US in 2004 with F1 and work in OPT in tax year 2005. He should have filed 1040NR. However, he carelessly filed 1040 for resident alien and already got tax refund from IRS. In this case, should he file amendment? What will happen if he should...

Penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I was penalise for being on strike that was called by my union.according to the tayalor law,it is 2days pay for every day on strike.is there any way I can reduse my taxable income by the amount of penalty. I believe it is a cost of doing business(work).I don't know if my logic will fly.Or Where...

401k tax & penalty [ 1 Answers ]

The company I worked for closed April,2005 and we were given our entire 401k balance. I have no plans to roll this over. I have placed 30% into a savings acount because I know I must pay 20% tax and 10% penalty. My question is: Is the tax and penalty due now or can they both be done at tax...

View more questions Search