Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniellakay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Very stubborn 1 yr old
    My baby cousin is really stubborn, as in he doesn't listen to his mum when she tells him not to touch something, I have told her that he is too young and probably does not understand but she has resulted to hitting him on the hand and even this is not working... is there any way she can get this child to listen or is he just too young to undertand? He was born premature so I don't know if that has something to do with it or not?
    greeneyedbaby Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2008, 01:40 PM

Honestly this might sound harsh but it could be the parenting. When she tells him no and he keeps doing it does she keep saying no or does she eventually give up and let him do it anyway? What I have found works is simple ignoring. When the kid is doing something bad don't let him know your watching him don't touch him don't talk to him. Then when he is doing something good and listening or even just playing with his toys reward him with praise and maybe even a treat. However if you do give him a treat and you need to call it a treat. Like if you use call it a treat when he's beong rewarded and call it candy any other time. Also taking something away like his favorite toy or letting him go outside if he likes to do that works in harder situations. At first he will cry and it will be hard but his training her and you needs to be reversed into you raising him
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Dec 9, 2008, 01:41 PM

This child sounds pretty typical to me. My son is nearly 3 now, and still "tests" the boundaries, touching, grabbing, that sort of thing. I don't think a lot of children really grow out of that for years to come... though it does get better. What I found to work the best for me and my son, is to get down on his level, and distract him with something else, that he likes to do, that is acceptable. For a lot of children, this will work, but only the mother/father and child will be able to make it work. Most, but not all the time, my son is receptive to this. If I am not doing something that can't be put down temporarily, I will even get down and play with him to help distract him from such things that I don't want him messing with.
    As for her "hitting" the child, I can't say that this is a bad or good thing. Hitting isn't the best way of doing things, but it's not the worst, either. A lot of times, yelling can do more damage than a smack on the butt or hand. As long as she isn't "beating" the child, I wouldn't worry too much, just maybe suggest the "interuption" idea I presented here. It might be something she hasn't thought of that could work very well for her.
    Good luck to you and your cousin.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 03:00 PM
    LOL, my term for this is "octopus arms." They reach for everything and anything. It's quite normal and a developmental milestone.

I disagree with the above statement about ignoring. They need to learn their boundaries, but the parent must also remain consistent. Never ignore bad behavior.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 03:24 PM

Yes, very normal and it will get a lot worse over the next couple years. Then it gets better till they are about 15 and from 15 to 18 they don't listen at all any more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stubborn A/C Unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5kw A/C -elect heat unit (York) That is being exteremly stubborn. It seems that the t-stat will not control the unit condensing unit runs constantly and the blower will not run at all unless I jump the R and G terminals together on the control board in the unit. The bord has been replaced...

Stubborn dog [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to teach my dog to jump into the back of my Excursion? He is only a year and a half so he is definitely capable but he won't do it. I've tried treats and lots of encouragement but he won't even try. He can jump out with no problem. Any suggestions?

Stubborn Friends! [ 1 Answers ]

I have this one group of friends and we've been friends for awhile. There is me, a girl named ashley, and 2 guys named Trent and Ryan. Ashley and Ryan have dated a couple of times but have stayed friends all through out there dating experiences. Ashley recently started dating Ryan best friend Josh....

Stubborn Wallpaper [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into my house about a year ago and I've almost finished renovating all the rooms except the kitchen and dining room. I've decided to start this week and my first task is removing a wallpaper border. I used a scoring tool and then used a mix of hot water and Poly-Peel to loosen the...

View more questions Search