Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Pain w/ intercourse.related to IBS?
    I had a baby in August 2007, and had a very bad delivery. I am still not feeling well. Its been over a year and it still hurts to have sexual intercourse. I mean really hurts

About 6 months ago my doctor diagnosed me with irritable bowel syndrome.

Is pain while intercourse a symptom of IBS?

My mother seems to believe that I could have adhesion's, because I had a cesarean. I know that some adhesion's are not noticeable in pain, but some that cause pain, can be dangerous.

Someone please give me advice on this!:confused:
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Dec 9, 2008, 01:14 PM

I would say you need to see you OBGYN and be checked thoroughly, but what is your pain?
    Vaginal? Cervical? Or admominal?

The main symptoms of IBS are

Abdominal pain or discomfort in the abdomen,
    Chronic diarrhea, constipation, or a combination of both
    Other symptoms are

Whitish mucus in the stool
    A swollen or bloated abdomen
    The feeling that you have not finished a bowel movement

It could be that your colon has been effected by this as is more sensative than usual.

Dec 9, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ATYOURSERVICE View Post
    I would say you need to see you OBGYN and be checked thoroughly, but what is your pain?
    vaginal? cervical? or admominal?

The main symptoms of IBS are

abdominal pain or discomfort in the abdomen,
    chronic diarrhea, constipation, or a combination of both
    Other symptoms are

whitish mucus in the stool
    a swollen or bloated abdomen
    the feeling that you have not finished a bowel movement

It could be that your colon has been effected by this as is more sensative than usual.

Well for awhile, I had sharp pains in my lower sides, kind of like where my ovaries are. And sometimes it hurts to touch it. Its very sensitive in that area. Sometimes I have vaginal pain, like sharp, stabbing. It hurts so bad when my fiancé and I have intercourse that we simply are afraid to proceed. We have tried things like lubrication, and it still hurts, just as much. My menstrual cycles are all wacked. One month it will be on time, lasting 3 days, first day will be heavy, second day sometimes I don't bleed and then the third day its just lite. And then after this cycle, my next one will be a month or two late.
    Often when I'm not even close to my cycle, I will have bad cramps, which are in the real low parts of my abdomen

My delivery was hard. I was in labor for over 21 hours and then had a emergency c-section. I hemorrhaged, and had to get two blood transfusions. Was in ICU for 2 days, My mother recalls hearing a nurse saying that they were thinking of giving me a hysterectomy.

Dec 9, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Also I do have lower back pain

Dec 10, 2008, 01:19 AM
    None of what you are describing sounds like IBS.
    You do not mention heavy flow, or clotty flow when menstrating, but it may be too soon.
    You could have the beginning of it.
    It sounds like what my wife developed many years ago after our babies. Just this year she did have to have a hysterectomy, ovaries and all. The pain was bad and her uterus was inflammed as though she was 8-10 weeks pregnant. She had all the symptoms you had and then started bleeding more and more heavily every year. She finally had 8-10 day periods. Can you imagine being on your period 1/3 of the month? Sex was non existent. Well intercourse at least. She finally was hospitalized 3x's for pain management during her period.
    Her diagnosis. Endometriosis. Then severe endo.
    Read up on it. But once again I would say go see your GYNO. Explain all your symptons.
    You need blood work up and ultra sound and possibly an MRI.

Ironically some OBGYN's will tell you to get pregnant. The relief of course is only temporary, but if you want more babies, better to do it quick. I've attached a link so you can read up on it.

Endometriosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck.

Dec 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
    None of what you are describing sounds like IBS.
    You do not mention heavy flow, or clotty flow when menstrating, but it may be too soon.
    You could have the beginning of it.
    It sounds like what my wife developed many years ago after our babies. Just this year she did have to have a hysterectomy, ovaries and all. The pain was bad and her uterus was inflammed as though she was 8-10 weeks pregnant. She had all the symptoms you had and then started bleeding more and more heavily every year. She finally had 8-10 day periods. Can you imagine being on your period 1/3 of the month? Sex was non existant. Well intercourse at least. She finally was hospitalized 3x's for pain management during her period.
    Her diagnosis. Endometriosis. Then severe endo.
    Read up on it. But once again I would say go see your GYNO. Explain all your symptons.
    You need blood work up and ultra sound and possibly an MRI.

Ironically some OBGYN's will tell you to get pregnant. The relief of course is only temporary, but if you want more babies, better to do it quick. I've attached a link so you can read up on it.

Endometriosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck.

Wow. Thank you so much! I read up on it and it is kind of making sense to me now. :) Will a pap smear find it? And I sometimes have heavy periods, but they last for like maybe two days and then it gets REALLy light, REally fast.

But so far, I have most those symptoms, except for the painful while urinating. What is painful voiding? In the mornings when I first urinate, I do have some discomfort. And I also notice if I go and have a couple drinks with friends, my pain worsens the next morning. So know I don't drink, maybe that's good though.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH:)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 02:07 PM

A pap smear won't cut it. You will need the full work up on this. The painful urination in the am means that your bladder has been "leaned on" by your insides.

Dec 11, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Well the pain is not like burning its like my sides of my lower abdomen.

Yesterday I had a bad headache and my lower sides like where my ovaries are, hurt bad. Like I couldn't put pressure on them and it didn't feel soft it felt really hard, like it was tight. Also often when I lay flat and I feel my stomach, I can feel knots. And when I put a little pressure on them the knots move.

Dec 12, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Your stomach?
    Go see your OB-GYN. They need to do some Ultra ssound maybe an MRI. They need to check your ovaries and uterus. They may be enlarged thereby putting pressure on your bladder and causing pain.
    Please get checked.

Dec 20, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Your stomach?
    go see your OB-GYN. They need to do some Ultra ssound maybe an MRI. They need to check your ovaries and uterus. They may be enlarged thereby putting pressure on your bladder and causing pain.
    Please get checked.
    I am working on getting health insurance and I will go get this checked out.

Last night I had a lot more pain in my abdomen, enough that I had to stop what I was doing to sit down. After all the pain, dull achy type feeling in my lower abdomen w/ some cramping and lower back hurting, I went to use the restroom. When I urinated I had a lot of white runny discharge, It was enough that it felt like I urinated it out. What is this??

My mother told me she thought it could be ovarian cyst bursting?

Thank you soooo much ATYOURSERVICE!:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I get a sharp pain during intercourse. [ 5 Answers ]

When my fiancé inserts his penis. When we start to have sex and his erection slides in it hurts along the right side of my vaginal wall. The majority of the time after intercourse there is slight bleeding. Its not menstrual blood, I stongly believe its coming where the pain come from. I have...

Pain after intercourse [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have sex with my girlfriend two or three times. She does not feel the extreme excitement. And during the intercourse she has pain in vagina. And after that she has severe pain in vagina a with burnig sensation. Sometime she feel pain even when she sits on hard object. The pain lasted two to...

Pain and intercourse [ 7 Answers ]

Is it normal to have vaginal soreness and tenderness after intercourse?

Pain in hip after intercourse, can't walk [ 1 Answers ]

My sons girlfriend broke her hip 3 times in the past, now while having intercourse her hip hurts her to no end. She can barely walk. I took her to the hospital and they xrayed it and it wasn't broke. They said it was a contusion. She is still in pain. What is wrong is it the contusion still...

Pain at the start of intercourse [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question about this sex issue that me and my girl are experiencing. If it means anything, we're both 22 years old and are having sex about 2 times a week (we both still live at our parents' (students in Croatia don't get much money :p), so we don't get as many chances as we'd like to :D )....

View more questions Search