Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vurwolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Cancelation of Lease for medical reasons?
    Hey,

We leased out one of the rooms in the house we are staying in to an individual yesterday. The lease is for 6 months. He hasn't paid yet. We gave him until the end of December to come up with the money.

Anyway, last night he was doing his laundry and he fell. I didn't think too much of it at first but than I heard him fall again, this time he fell in the bathroom. So I got up to check on him only to find that he was out of it, he was standing up though. I asked if he was OK and he didn't respond rightaway he just looked at me. He was swaying and he wasn't responsive at all. Me and my other roommate are not fit to take care of him at all and he isn't in the right condition to be living in a house without assisstnt living.

Do we have any right to cancel the lease because of his condition? Or are we stuck with a person who needs medical attention?

Thanks
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Dec 9, 2008, 12:37 PM

You do not mention what state you are in, but each state has renter/rentee laws that you must follow to avoid a lawsuit.
    I seems you are not aware of any medical condition and keep it that way.

If he signed a lease and does not pay you can leave a 3 day notice to vacate and then a 30 day notice. You can then submit a request to the court.

If he pays you the rent then he has the right to stay there until the end of the lease unless he breaks a stipulation of the lease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 04:23 PM

Big issue, since you agreed to give him to end of the month to pay
    *** that was crazy, what if at the end of the month there is no money, you always get money before they move in)

But has he asked for assistance, why is he not able to take care of his-self, he may fall and be OK with it.

This is very shaky ground since at this point you can not discriminate for his medical condition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease due to medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for a friend, she has a special needs daughter (diabetic, bipolar, mildly mentally disabled, and has a lot of psychological problems from sexual and physical abuse from the time she was born until she was 2 and my friend got custody) When they moved into their apartment, she was...

Breaking Lease due to medical reasons [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had to go to the emergency room and was told my gallbladder was infected and had to get surgery immediately. I had to be off both of my jobs for two weeks and since then I have not been able to afford my bills. I'm stuck deciding do I pay my electric bill, or my college payment. My year...

Breaking Lease for Medical Reasons [ 1 Answers ]

My friend lives in the state of Virginia, his father has to have major surgery to have a metal plate inserted in the entire left side of his head due to an accident. He needs to break his lease and move in with his father to be the caretaker. Upon discussing this situation with his landlord, the...

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

Our mother in law is being put in disability by her doctor. She is being forced to leave her job and will soon require continuous care. For this reason, we are moving her from Philadelphia to Oregon. Her lease runs through August. She approached management with this and they want her to pay 4...

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 2 Answers ]

I am an elderly 82-year-old woman who needs to move out of my third-floor apartment for medical reasons. Is there a way to break a lease without penalty because of this? I have been a tenant of the apartment complex for 23 years.

View more questions Search