Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Bailout and the Government
    Are the bailouts that have happened and are now happening payback to the special interest groups, (unions, banks,newspapers,Autoworkers) for their support in the last election cycle?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 10:06 AM

They are from the Shrub administration - not the incoming administration.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 10:11 AM

Actually they are orcastrated and given by the failed congress that has been in place for the last two years. The same one that has a 8% approval rating. But that was not the question.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    ... the failed congress that has been in place for the last two years.
    You really think it all happened in just 2 years? Really?
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 10:20 AM

Nope, it all started with a failed idea from jimmy carter and perpertrated further by billy (I didn't inhale) clinton. But that is still not the question. Doesn't anybody want to give an honest answer to the question
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 01:06 AM

Bush told his buddies, "steal anything you want, just try not to embarrass me, I can do that plenty good enough on my own."
    So they are.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Dec 11, 2008, 05:36 PM

Personally, I think the bail outs are the result of incompetent government, going way back. More than 2 or 8 years. While trying to be politically correct, and bring about "equality" (everyone should be able to own a home, right?), government forced policies that put people into homes that they could not afford. Then, they forced requirements on the auto industry that are not yet technically feasible.

Now both industries are in deep trouble, and it would not likely have happened without the gross incompetence of "Washington".

Now we are expected to believe that the same morons that caused the problem can fix it!

This may not be an accurate answer, but it is my answer, and I'm sticking to it!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 05:21 AM

Lol
    Are the bailouts that have happened and are now happening payback to the special interest groups, (unions, banks,newspapers,Autoworkers) for their support in the last election cycle?

No ;I think this is one of the biggest upwards wealth transfers (theft ) in history . Surprisingly many of the Democrats who champion those unions... yada yada are so supportive of these "bailouts "... given their stated position ;as articulated nicely by their standard bearer -elect ,that the way to stimulate the economy is from the bottom-up.
    I would also note that it has been Republicans in Congress (those champions of the elites and robber barons ) who have been the only members of the Federal Government to attempt to put brakes and accountability into this madness.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Dec 12, 2008, 05:05 PM

I heard some interesting figures today. Last year, GM and Toyota sold the same number (within 1 million) vehicles. While GM was losing somethling like 29 billion (?) Toyota made about 19 billion profit. (I may not have remembered the numbers correctly) Anyway, why should we prop up such incompetent business?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Patriot Act and the Bailout [ 26 Answers ]

Hi folks. Remember the quote that Ben Franklin made? The one that said "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." I can't remember the number of times I have heard people use that quote as justification against the USA...

Bear Stearns Bailout [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: When JP Morgan bought Bear a week ago at $2 a share, the Treasury Secretary was right there to point out that it WASN'T a bailout of the shareholders. But, the shareholders sniveled... and the government caved. The ante was raised by a factor of 5 to $10. Now, the shareholders can...

Government [ 38 Answers ]

What do you think is the best form of government? Monarchy? Like the middle east or astrocracy which I don't think exists anymore, or democratic which most of the countries claim to be!

View more questions Search