Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scubasaint Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Tax on inherited property sold abroad
    My wife (a US citizen) inherited 3 acreas of land in Honduras. She recently sold it for $100,000. To date she has only received a down payment of $20,000 of which she had to pay a capital $4000 capital gains tax to Honduras based on the total sales price.

The purchaser has run into some legal complications (corrupt government) and is currently withholding an monthly payments.

Does she have to pay income taxes on inherited property and would it be on the full amount even though she may never receive any remaining installments?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 10:14 AM
    The fact that she paid a captal gains tax to Honduras implies that the property was sold for a profit.

I am not sure what the basis for the property will be, because I do not know off-hand whether the step-up provision for capital assets under current estate tax law applies for inherited foreign property; perhaps IntlTax can address that issue.

As for whether she pays on the difference between the basis and $20,000 or the difference between the basis and $100,000 paid under an installment plan cannot be determined at this time, because you do not know for sure whether any additional money will be received.

You also have the need to claim a Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) for the $4,000 paid to Honduras.

The complexity and the number of unknowns associated with this situation virtually demands that you contact a local tax professional with experience in both estate taxes and international tax issues. Trying to prepare the return yourself, using advice from a tax forum, is a recipe for disaster In my opinion.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 12:29 PM

Your wife's U.S. tax basis in the property would be the value of the property on the date of death of the person she inherited it from. If the land is held through a Honduran corporation (not uncommon in Central America), she may need to file Form 5471 to report the ownership (and the taxation of the gain could be complicated if the corporation is selling the property).

One item that is unclear from the facts presented is whether the property has already been sold (closing has occurred) and payments are being made on an installment note, or whether you have received a down payment to purchase the land but closing has not yet occurred. The U.S. tax treatment varies depending on this determination.

It would be helpful if you let us know whether closing has already occurred and how much time passed between the date of inheritance/death and the date of sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on inherited property sold overseas [ 2 Answers ]

My parents (non-US citizens) lived overseas and have passed away. On the death of my mother, I inherited their apartment and have recently sold it and intend transferring the proceeds to the US. I am a US citizen, 72 years old, reside in the US and file joint tax returns with my wife. Question:...

Taxes on inherited property sold [ 1 Answers ]

I see many other questions on this topic, but none to my exact situation. I am curious how this works. My sister and I jointly inherited a property of our late aunt in CT which was valued (and filed estate-wise) at $650,000. As the property required much work before the sale, we invested over...

Inherited Property Being Sold- Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My father died and left property in trust for my mother, my brother and I. (40 years ago.) My mother dies in 1989, and the property transferred to my brother and I. The trust was dissolved in 1994. I have paid taxes on this property continuously. The property value has increased 10x. It...

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

Taxes on inherited property sold [ 0 Answers ]

My siblings and I inherited our parents house after their death. It was in poor condition. We had it appraised for $132,000 and sold it for $125,000. Do we owe any federal income tax on it? All I have read so far indicates that we do not. But, how to we file, since the mortgage company that...

View more questions Search