Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solocoombe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Honda Civic won't start but all components are good!
    I have a problem with my 94 Honda Civic VTI (b16a2 motor). The problem is it will crank over but will not fire up, there is no fuel and no spark, the fuel system does not prime, but the mystery for me has really started while solving the problem.
    I first went through testing the usual things - fuses , fuel pump, main relay, ecu, distributer. All these things are OK! So I thought possibly the MAP sensor, so I tested it but there is no power even getting to the sensor! So my thoughts were either the ECU I swapped for mine was also dodgy or my alarm has some sort of kill system I don't know about.
    So I went about removing the alarm. Once out I turned the key and the fuel system primed! I turned the key but the battery was dead so I attached some jump leads and tried again but this time the fuel system did not prime! After sitting back and saying S**t a few times I turned the key a load more times and eventually I heard the fuel system prime and the car started! But it then died after about a minute. Since then I haven't been able to get the fuel system to prime atall!
    Please please someone help me, I am all but finished with were to go now, any help much much appreciated.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 09:25 AM

. Clean main ECM ground on the thermostat housing.

. Perform K-Test on the ECM:

Remove the MAP Sensor connector and turn the ignition switch to ON (not start). Using a multimeter, check for 5 volts going between the MAP Sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. As you look at the connector, this is the socket on the right. Really press the black test lead into a cleaned main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. If the voltage is low, it's probably indicating ECM failure. Most failed ECMs will record a fraction of a volt. To me, the K-Test is simple, elegant, and accurate.

Odds are high that the ECM is toast. Replace the ECM with a known good one and I bet your car starts right up.
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Dec 11, 2008, 03:44 PM

Check your main relay. Turn on the key and listen to the area between the steering wheel and the drivers door. You should hear 2 clicks, one when the main relay activates the fuel system (fuel pump) and the other when it activates the ECU. If you are not getting 2 clicks then your relay may be bad. Known issue on Hondas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1997 honda civic dx won't crank won't start [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 1997 honda civic dx 5 speed. Yesterday car was fine, started strong and drove strong. I parked car last night and about 4-5 hours later tried to start it. When I turned the key in the ignition there was no crank at all. I can hear a little hum and then a click but that's all.

95 Honda Civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My 95 Civic died as I was driving it. I was going about 35-40 mph, and it died. All lights, radio working still but car won't go. I tried to start it and it sounds like it is trying to start but won't. Also the brakes are very tight and they weren't before this, if that info helps. Any ideas would...

My civic 93 won't start everything look good but cranking up hear no sparking [ 2 Answers ]

I have honda civic 93 hb and I put zc d16 sohc in it and recently start last night and leave them for warm up and what happen is, it went off and I trying to start nothing happen just cranking and hear no sparkings my dad told me, we did check the fuel pump and fuel line and it good because we...

Honda Civic 99 won't start good battery [ 1 Answers ]

Coming from vacation after 5 days my civic 99 DX won't start. When I try it cranks for while but no luck. So I took the battery to checker they told battery needs to replace. I changed the battery. Still no luck. Could anybody please suggest what I need to do next? I know very little about car...

View more questions Search