Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Juah Lawson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 08:04 AM
    How to discuss menstration
    How do I begin to discuss menstruation with my 9 year old daughter?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 6, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Haha, perfect timing. My 12 year old daughter just began her first one yesterday! LOL

First off it is good to know how close you are with your daughter and whether you feel you can talk openly to her.

With my daughter I just came right out in the open and asked her if she knew what a period was. From that point she took over the conversation. You will be surprised what our girls learn from their friends at school. She may already have friends who have started, I know mine had some friends who started around 9 or 10.

If she does not know it would be good to approach her by telling her that at a certain age she will begin bleeding from the vagina and not to be frightened. It is a normal healthy process that all of us women go through. She will probably either get embarrassed and not want to talk about it. If that is the case, let the subject drop. Maybe bring it up again casually when you begin your period. Or, she might surprise you and ask many questions and carry the conversation.

I was real casual with my daughter, bringing the subject up only when I began mine, kind of like letting her ease into it. Yesterday, she just came up to me and said “Mom, I started.” That was it.

Good luck, if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jul 10, 2006, 08:43 PM
    I would like to add that menstruatiuon should be linked to the miracle of life and the unique role that women have been given. This way it will be seen as part of a privilege and a blessing.

BTW
    I have two daughters.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jul 10, 2006, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    I .....the unique role that women have been given. This way it will be seen as part of a privilege and a blessing.
    Obviously you have no uterus starMAN.. privilege and blessing indeed...
    Red menace, life sucking torture bloating itching with a B, bleeding monthly monster would be more accurate:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :p Oh yeah and we get a little grumpy for a couple of days around that time too ;)

Had to spread it around Sis, but EXCELLENT advice! You, as usual... stated it brilliantly
    siji Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 11:16 AM
    How I begin to discuss mensuration & what sex education Igive to my 12 year old daughter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painful menstration with sickness [ 3 Answers ]

I am 43 years old. My periods are regular. However, over the past 18 months I have had 3 periods where, for 1 hour each time, I have been in absolute agony, boiling hot, and been sick. Has anyone else had this, and is there anything that can be done about it?

Menstration and Swimming [ 3 Answers ]

I cannot get me daughter to use a tampon. She is a swimmer and now teaches swimming. I can't find any info on being in the pool with a light period. Any for sure answers out there?

Menstration [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I get my period, it is very long. It is so long that sometime I thought I have period 2 times in a month. I barely get a break between my period. Does anybody know if that is abnormal or not? Can you tell me?

View more questions Search