Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IndigoIntention Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 05:14 PM
    International Student CPT
    Hi AskMeHelpDesk.com ,

I am a single,unmarried graduate student from India and my school is in Georgia. I did a 6.5 months of Curriculum Practical Training during which my total salary etc. came out to be 37000 dollars. My CPT was in Austin,

1. I wrongfully entered my address in Company to be my previous address in GA and thus for 2 months I paid in total GA Withholding of 821 dollars. Later I corrected my address to TX address and then no further withholding was cut.

2. My FED withholding has been 6900 dollars.

3. I worked on campus in GA earlier and I paid some 400 dollars tax in total (GA + FED) on a salary of 2500.

4. I've paid 12500 dollars as tuition fees to my university this year.

My questions are:
    1. Will I get back my GA withholding tax ? If so, what form do I fill and when can I expect it back?

2. How much FED tax can I ask for refund ?

I appreciate your help.
    Thanks
    IndigoIntention
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 05:51 PM
    1) Yes, you will get it back when you file your GA tax return, but you will need to provide documentation showing you lived and worked in Texas.

2) Your federal tax refund projects to $3,090.

Dec 8, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Hi AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just one question, I was staying at my relatives place and thus what would the residential proof be - credit card bills / bank statements ?

Thanks,
    IndigoIntentions
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 02:13 AM

Instead of residential proof, it will be better if you get statement from employer that during the period... to... you worked in TX.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Agree with MukatA.

A memo from your employer, on company letterhead, is the best proof of where you worked. It is my experience that such memos are almost universally accepted by the states as definitive proof of where you worked.

Feb 22, 2009, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Instead of residential proof, it will be better if you get statement from employer that during the period ....... to ...... you worked in TX.
    Sir,
    I was in GA from Jan to Apr 2008 and for rest of the year I was in TX.

Do I do something special in my E-file of the GA state tax (for my on campus job W2 and incorrect tax deduction of my TX job) refund or do I need to write a letter to the GA Tax Office ?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 10:40 AM
    If you efile the GA return and the state of Georgia refunds all of your withheld GA taxes, do nothing for now.

Given the amount of money involved, it is likely the Georgia Department of Revenue will not even challenge the refund request.

If they do, then (and only then) do you provide the memo from your employer stating that you never lived in Georgia in 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

Tax Forms for International OPT student [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am an international student in my OPT period. I work in California(san diego). I have received --> 1099 Misc - NonEmployment Compensation - $4200 --> 1099 INT - Tax Income - $35 --> W2 - Wages - $6800 I don't know what are the forms for FEDERAL and STATE tax that I am supposed to file...

Marriage for International Student [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a international Student from Hong Kong, and I am recently in love with a American. I want to know if I get married, will I change my status to a US citizen? Or will I be able to work in US and pay for in state tuition fee? Thanks, V.

International student taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am currently working for a firm as part of my optional practical training, and work between 20-30 hours a week. I am being paid on the books, and am required to file my own taxes. Which form do I use? When do I file? Also, the company keeps sending me a W-9 Form which states specifically that...

View more questions Search