Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessikarabbit11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Employee rights?
    In the state of arizona.... Is it legal for an employer to ask you to sign a document saying that you will never call in sick again or it is automatic termination or the other option is to resign from the company with pension? I know arizona is a right to work state but is this legal???:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2008, 12:49 PM

Well that depends. Is there a stated company policy for sick time that this agreement would violate?

Can you give us more background about why you are being asked to sign such a document?

Dec 8, 2008, 12:53 PM
    My boyfriend was hurt in an accident which he was unable to perform his job duties... and was in the process of claiming short term disability, when he returned to work he was told that he was to sign something saying that he would not call in and sign something saying that if he did he would be terminated on the spot... but if he doesn't sign he resigns with pension... or they fire him?

Dec 8, 2008, 01:02 PM

Was he injured on the job? Does the company have a short term disability policy.

With the additional info, this sounds fishier and fishier. I would not sign, but consult an attorney.

Dec 8, 2008, 01:05 PM
    He was not injured on the job, it was a car accident out side of work, the company does not provide short term disability but he has a separate policy through work though.

Dec 8, 2008, 01:09 PM

Again, does the company have a policy on sick days? Was this policy offered through the company?

No company can force an aemployee to sign away rights they have given as part of the employment package. That would be illegal.

Dec 8, 2008, 01:13 PM
    As far as I know they offer 5 sick days a year which he has already used he has been out of work for 2 weeks now so those are obviously used up, and I am pretty sure that it does not state that once they are used that you can be terminated? I hope that answered your question.

Dec 8, 2008, 01:16 PM

Generally, if a employee uses up their sick days then the next step is to take vacation or a short term disability. For an employer to try and force an agreement as you describe does not sound legal.

Dec 8, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Thanks for your help! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation & Rights of an employee [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was terminated from a job after I filed a complaint to HR regarding my supervisors actions. After giving birth to my son and a year of followed ups & downs including a divorce, I suffered from complicated migraines, anxiety attacks and a mild case of depression. Through this time and to...

My employee (and human) rights abused [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I live in VA and my boss at this store I worked at denied me health benefits that I was qualified for and I signed up for during open enrollment. When I asked about it he made a racial comment towards me. He also encouraged other employees to racially harass me. He's also threatened to beat...

My rights as a salaried employee [ 1 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee. I work at least 40 hours per week and most weeks 50-55 hours per week. I work from 6 a.m.- 2:00 p.m. some Saturdays 7 a.m.- Noon, and some evenings delivering fuel. I was told I would get one week paid vacation after 0ne year of service and two weeks paid vacation after...

Per Diem Employee (hospital) Rights in CA [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an employee of an addiction hospital in California. I was hired as a 'per diem' employee July 2007, meaning I am not considered a full-time, 'regular' employee and do not receive benefits of any sort. I worked less than 40 hrs per work until 3/2008, and have been working 40/40+ since then. ...

Employee rights, do we have them? [ 4 Answers ]

In Florida when a person leaves a job and the boss takes money out of your check for no reason, what can a person do??

View more questions Search