Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Farquar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Stuck middle valve - 3 handle shower valve
    Help and suggestions!! The middle handle, used to divert water from the tub spout to shower head is stuck in the 'tub' position. I have removed the handle and trim bezel and tried to turn the shaft with pliers - no luck & quit before marring the splines on the brass shaft. What now??
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Farquar:

You need to remove all parts down to the large nut (part#930-630 in pic below) that hold the stem in place... then you should be able to spin the stem out, sand it down a bit with sandpaper and then put some plumbers grease on the threads and re-install into the valve. Then re-install the stem assembly, all parts and trim and should be up and running again... if you're lucky!

Can also click on the showervalve.pdf link below for a close up view of the nuts I am talking about!

Let us know how it goes...

MARK
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Shower Valve.pdf (102.0 KB, 319 views)
    Farquar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Farquar:

You need to remove all parts down to the large nut (part#930-630 in pic below) that hold the stem in place...then you should be able to spin the stem out, sand it down a bit with sandpaper and then put some plumbers grease on the threads and re-install into the valve. Then re-install the stem assembly, all parts and trim and should be up and running again...if you're lucky!!

Can also click on the showervalve.pdf link below for a close up view of the nuts I am talking about!

Let us know how it goes...

MARK
    Mark, thanks for quick response. I got disassembled through the large nut 9300-620 but still cannot turn the stem. What now?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 10:21 AM
    I guess you could try some penetrating oil like WD40 and let that sit for awhile before attempting to remove the stem. After that, us a pair of pliers and try to rotate the stem in BOTH directions...

Otherwise may be time to replace that old valve... ;)

Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove single valve handle - Delta Shower [ 48 Answers ]

I've got the Seats & Springs to fix a leaky Delta Monitor 1400 Series faucet (and the water is turned off), and am stuck at the very beginning. The handle is a single lever, it appears that the Set Screw is missing. I've tried twisting the lever and pulling without success - not knowing which is...

No hot water from Moen Single handle shower valve [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting no hot water from my Moen single handle shower valve. I have plenty of pressure from cold water side. I removed the main handle to expose the valve. The hot water pipe has a small valve with a common head valve stem which I turned, hoping to unblock the valve, but this had no...

Installing a single handle shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower valve (new construction) using PEX tubing, the tubing won't support the valve and the valve has no mounting tabs. What is the best way to anchor the valve body?

One handle shower valve [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Kohler one handle shower valve that does not permit me to get hot enough water. Water heat is OK and hot water is available in other bathrooms. How do I change the valve to get hotter water. Admiral

View more questions Search