Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Window glass for fixed glass opening
    Added openings to wall in studio apt. Material is wood frame stucco, with wood jambs, interior is pigmented plaster. This has an adobe look and plaster will terminate at glass with no visible moldings. Opening size is approx. 12" x 40", will bed glass in resilient glazing. What would be the choice of glass as a good compromise as to to cost, strength,noise transmission? I am a FL general contractor, but this is my own residence.
    Thanks, Ken
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 09:28 AM

Are you looking for thermal pain for heat transfer reduction?(being in FL)

How about looks,leaded stained glass?

Does the house have storm glass on the other windows?

What are the other windows in the area of this one made of.Do you want that face to look the same?

This sounds like a cool project,sure would like to see it.Pics forthcoming?

KBC
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 09:57 AM

KBC,
    Nothing fancy, openings will have unique appearance compared to other windows in structure, just clear glass. Is there appreciable difference in these size openings, single strength vs. double strength? Will use shutters in case of hurricanes.
    Thanks, Ken
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 06:01 PM

I always go double strength.OK some times single,but only for historical type work,namely,no one lives in them/no heat loss... etc.

Still,a thermal pain with or without argon isn't all that hard to get.ABC supply would be able to help order a blank(give them a size and see if they can get an appropriate blank for you.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DIY Glass Blocks Window [ 1 Answers ]

I'd like to replace my (really old, really energy inefficient) bathroom window. It faces the back yard and I'd like to use glass blocks instead of a traditional window. I thought it seemed relatively simple and straightforward to do this, not to mention relatively inexpensive. But when I went to...

Glass Block Window in shower [ 6 Answers ]

During a remodel of our bathroom, the workers broke the cement from around our glass block window in out shower. They told me to just fill it with thinset mortar when I tile but I am not sure about that. Is that correct information or should a use another product to fill in the holes. The current...

91 Civic 2 dr Hatchback WINDOW GLASS [ 1 Answers ]

Hellp folks.. Before I start, I likd that notion too much.. sombody misses me at last!. :cool: So back to the business...

View more questions Search