Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hulk9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Am I Eligible to have French passport ?
    Hi,

I was born in France and brought up there, I left after 6 years and went back to my country. Both my parents are foreigners, am I elegible to have the french passport.

Defineltely I speak french as my mother tongue but wondering who shall I contact and if I there is a chance a can get it.

I have all document that can prove my residency and birth certificate.

Thanks a lot
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 12:01 PM

French citizenship laws are based upon the French Nationality Code.

FRENCH CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH:

Child born within the territory of France, regardless of the nationality of the parents.

FRENCH CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT:
    Child born abroad, at least one of whose parents is a citizen of France.

FRENCH CITIZENSHIP MARRIAGE:
    If the couple has been living in France for a year, after a period of two year's marriage to a French citizen, it is possible to make a declaration of French citizenship by marriage. If the couple is living outside of France, a three year waiting period is required. In addition to the many documents required to prove both the applicants nationality and the spouse's french nationality, there is a requirement for competency in the French language. The declaration of citizenship is made by the couple to the local court, or the French consulate if overseas. The declaration is accepted or rejected by decision of the Ministry of Justice.

FRENCH CITIZENSHIP BY NATURALIZATION:
    Persons seeking naturalization as French citizens face varying conditions. Residence circumstances are significant. These persons may seek naturalization:
    - Person who has been a resident of France for five years.
    - Person who has resided in France for two years and has a degree from a University or has rendered important service to France.

The following persons have no residency requirement and may seek naturalization:
    - Person who has rendered exceptional service to France.
    - Person who has served in a combat unit of the French Army.
    - Person who is the spouse or minor child of a person acquiring French citizenship.

Dual French citizenship recognized.
    Hulk9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 03:26 AM

One of the lawyers have sent me this statement: "the French citizenship for children born in France from foreign parents is subject to residency in France. Indeed, the French law states that a person born in France from foreign parents can only become a French citizen and therefore get the French passport if she was a French resident when she was 18 year old and was a French resident during at least 5 years since she was 11 year old.
    Only children born in France from at least one French parent are automatically French citizens. Law initiated in 1998

Could you please confirm as its contradicting your statement.
    tengloves Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 04:36 AM
    I can confirm that what your lawyer is telling you is correct. It is not enough to be
    Born here to get citizenship. As the text points out you must be resident here in France
    For 5 years between 11 and 18 years old and be resident here on your 18th birthday.
    Myself and my wife are non-French but we are resident here for 10 years now. We have
    Had 2 children born here and they are not automatically French citizens. They will get french citizenship once they meet the requirement outlined above - assuming they are still in France at 18 years of age.
    mosun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 03:43 AM
    In my case,I was born in france, left when I was I was two years old. I returned to france at 19 and have been living and working here for 4yrs. Am I eligible for a french passport.
    NZAlg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2012, 09:57 PM
    Am I eligible for a french passport?
    My father has a french passport by reintegration, I never lived in France just visited.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the baby eligible for a passport? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a German Ancestral passport. My grandparents were from Germany. I also hold a South Africa passport and have studied Teaching in Pretoria, South Africa the last 2 years. I lived in the UK for 6 years 2000-2006 and am going back to Scotland in February. My father works and lives there. I...

Is the baby eligible for a passport? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a German Ancestral passport. My grandparents were from Germany. I also hold a South Africa passport and have studied Teaching in Pretoria, South Africa the last 2 years. I lived in the UK for 6 years 2000-2006 and am going back to Scotland in February. My father works and lives...

French Passport [ 1 Answers ]

French passport Somebody mentioned in a recent conversation that if one has ancestors from Reunion Island that one may qualify for a French passport. Is that true? Thanks

Am I eligible for a Portugeuse Passport? [ 1 Answers ]

My both my maternal grandparents and my mother were born in the Cape Verde Islands (when they were still a territory of Portugal). I'm looking to relocate to the UK and a friend told me that I should be able to get a Portuguese passport; without forfeiting my US citizenship. I was born in the US...

French passport [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, My mother was born in egypt but was never granted egyptian passport because of being a jew. She had a french passport all her life. Her french passport is now expired and after living in the states for 30 years she just applied and received an american passport. I was born in the states...

View more questions Search