Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambrian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 07:53 PM
    1 1/2 year old cat suddenly attacks dog?
    My wife and I got our cat when she was a kitten. She's about a year and a half old the dog is about seven. They have got along fine till today. One min. she's fine the next min she freaks out and starts attacking the dog. The only thing I can think of is, I think she's going into heat, but she's never acted this oddly before. Are her hormons just out of wack or could it be something different. I have locked in the spare bed room to keep them separate till I figure this out. Any info would help Thank you
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Dec 9, 2008, 01:14 AM

Kitty is maturing and not so playful any more. Perhaps the dog still wants to play & bugged the cat?
    Or else the cat was in a bad "mood" and just decided to take it out on the dog.
    Since the kitten grew up with the dog it may just be a temporary thing. Try letting the cat out again to see what she does.
    Cats get "jealous" too. This happened when I brought a kitten home: my female cat was so jealous she refused to eat for two days.
    Sometimes a dog will "over-react". It must have scared your dog for the sudden change in behavior, so he or she probably yelped loudly. If the cat goes after him or her again, your dog will learn to avoid her.
    I have two other cats that are male. The older one picks on the younger one all the time, even though the younger one could kick his butt. It's all part of the "game" of showing: "I'm number 1 around here".
    Lots of possibilities here, you have to figure out which one it is.
    catsman_123 Posts: 15, Reputation: -2

Dec 13, 2008, 08:22 PM

It is probably having a hormonial act up and is misbehaving because of it. Keep the two separate for a while, to see if she settles down. If she is still acting up in a week or so, call the vet. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 year old dog suddenly pee/pooping in the house! [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know WHAT to do about this. I've had my dog for 3 years now, ever since she was 8 weeks. I house trained her as soon as I got her, and she got the hang of it right away. She's been so good about it for the past 3 years. However, in the past 2 weeks, she's suddenly been peeing and...

One year old lab mix suddenly eliminating in the house [ 2 Answers ]

Our one year old lab mix is female, spayed and housebroken (we thought). She is suddenly peeing & pooping in the house (sometimes while we're in the same room with her). Her nose is cold & wet, she's eating & drinking & very energetic - she seems completely healthy. This happened about two...

Anxiety attacks [ 4 Answers ]

I started getting really bad anxiety. To the point where I was passing out in the middle of a shopping centre. I took medication and felt fine so I eased myself off it. Now my life has gone a-wall. I feel like I am in a huge rut. I started getting anxiety even worse than before, to the point...

Terrorist attacks [ 5 Answers ]

Do you think a terrorist attack is going to happen soon? Thanks your opinions are greatly appreciated!:)

11 year old debt suddenly asked to pay [ 8 Answers ]

I have an 11 year old debt from an old $3100 credit card account. All of a sudden I get letters threatening me to pay. Verbiage like if you do not respond you will be held in contempt and incarcerated. I live in New Jersey and thought that after 6 years they can't do this any more and the debt is...

View more questions Search