Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chiffon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Mother wanting to give up her rights
    My daughter father and I have been together for over 15 years. About 3 months ago, we decided to go our separate ways. I'm living a life full of stress and anger because he won't help continue to take care of our 14 yr old daughter. I won't let her see her father anymore for the simple fact he refuses to help provide for her appropriately. This is very hard on my daughter, she's not happy and now giving me problems.

I can't begin to describe how much I love my daughter, but I'm to the point where I just want to turn all my rights over, let her go live with him, and be done all the pain. I'm so confused as to what to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2008, 12:49 PM

First, its unlikely a court will allow you to give up your rights. What you really want is to turn custody over to the father, but if he isn't doing his part, what makes you think he will accept it?

And what do you mean by provide for her? Is there court ordered support, visitation? We need more info here.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 12:53 PM

How is her father not providing for her? Is it just in regard to money? Does she want to see her father? Does he want to see her? If she is not in danger from seeing him, this may be an issue you want to reevaluate... might be a big part as to why she is angry with you. Three months is not a long time at all for any of you to adjust to the changes that your family has experienced. He may be very angry and, while it is not appropriate, he may be reacting by stepping back from both of you for now.
    Chiffon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, its unlikely a court will allow you to give up your rights. What you really want is to turn custody over to the father, but if he isn't doing his part, what makes you think he will accept it?

And what do you mean by provide for her? Is there court ordered support, visitation? We need more info here.

I wasn't as clear with my statement. When we split, he promised to continue to help out with all the obligations he and I established together. The following month, he decided to go back on his word. We've been fighting about the finances just about everyday sense he moved out. Even though we were arguing I would still let him come by to pick our daughter up for the weekend. He had the nerve to tell me that I was a grown women and that I need to pay the bill myself and that the clothes he buy her, along with the lunch money, should be good enough.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 01:54 PM

Did you go to court to get a support order? If not then he dosen't owe you anything period. You can not have your rights terminated so just forget about that. What you might want is some counseling for you and your daughter. Does he want to see his child? If he wants to and she wants to see him then why stop that? If he wants custody and you don't then just let her go live with him. Then he can go to court and get a support order and all you will have to do is pay the ordered support unless you want visitation then you request visitation and the judge will give you a visitation order.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 01:59 PM

Child support or the support you expect from him and visitation are two very separate factors. A father does not have to pay support in order for him to still have rights to visitation and you are wrong if you are withdrawing that opportunity from him.

A father with frequent visitation will often choose to stay involved and support his obligation more often than a father who is not involved. "Out of sight, out of mind" really does apply to some people's ability to parent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
    When we split, he promised to continue to help out with all the obligations he and I established together. The following month, he decided to go back on his word. We've been fighting about the finances just about everyday sense he moved out. .
    Why are YOU arguing, why isn't your attorney working out a divorce settlement that will spell out support, visitation etc. Its all well and good to try an work this out between you, but as soon as he reneged you should have started court proceedings.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 08:45 PM

This is the issue, you are not doing anything right,

You care less what he says, you go to court and get a custody order and a order from the court for child support and maybe even a garnishment on his paycheck for the support.

He can always go to court for a visitation order, you can't stop him from visiting if he wants to and is willing to fight for it.

If you let him have the child, he can then go get a child support order to make you pay child support
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2008, 06:42 AM

Please don't use your daughter as a pawn by refusing to let them see each other because he is not paying what you think he should be paying. I'd be angry too if this is the case. The finances are between you and your partner, your daughter should not be put in the middle of it. Your actions and words will go a long way in how she will handle the separation and how she will perceive your role in it.

As others have said, if you can't work out an agreement between yourselves, you will have to get it in writing from the court. Mediation may help avoid going to court, so you may want to look into that first.
    Often when a couple separates, money becomes a big part of the picture and there can be quite a power struggle because of it.
    Much will be taken into consideration... how were bills paid before, are you or were you working, what sort of income do you both make, will you retain primary physical custody, etc..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to adopt a baby you know the mother would never give up [ 6 Answers ]

My bestfriends niece is one month pregnant and fourteen years old the father of her baby is fourteen as well, my fiancé and I have talked about adopting their baby only because we both know that she and the father can not take care of that baby and I know for a fact that it will not be safe in the...

Mother wanting to give up legal rights [ 2 Answers ]

I have an eight year old son. In which I was married to his father up until a year ago and am still going through a evil custody dispute. He has turned my son against me and has had him make up several lies about me. I have done everything for him but to leave him once the abuse started. My son is...

NY mom - father wanting to give up all rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if any one could give me some advice. I reside in New York, and my child's father resides in FL. The baby was born in NY. My sons father wants to give up his paternal rights. Does this mean he is not financially obligated anymore and that he can never see his child...

A father wanting to give up rights? [ 15 Answers ]

My childrens's father wants to giveup his rights, what or how do we go about doing that. I'm 21 years old and I have a 1 year old and 2 year old. I'm in a stable relationship and we are about to get married soon and I was wondering does my fiancé have to adpot them now or what. Because my fiancé is...

Father wanting to give up rights [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Dakota and have lived here for the past 3 years. My divorce went through in Colorado and my exwife and daughter now live in Texas and have for almost a year now. Her new husband wants to adopt my daughter and I want to give up my rights so he can. I have called the Texas legal...

View more questions Search