Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvmybbys Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Is week too long?
    I owe state child support in cal. and I am now in or. I recently opened a bank account and I have a check for a couple thousand dollars I need to let clear for a week . Can they garnish it in that time?:confused::(
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 11:44 AM

Yeah I am sure they can especially if they already have all your banking information and have contacted the bank about it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2008, 11:46 AM

Yep. If they find or are aware of the account, they can get a writ of attachment and serve it in a single day.

Dec 7, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    yeah I am sure they can especially if they already have all your banking information and have contacted the bank about it.
    I am not sure if they have my bank info. I opened an account on the 4th of dec.do you think they have my info?
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 11:54 AM

It may take them awhile if they don't have the info.
    But it can catch up to you before you know it.
    One reason why I don't use banks any more than absolutely necessary.
    You need to put a serious effort into getting caught up on the support even if it means you doing without some things.

Dec 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Do you think they have my bank info?
    My bank accont has only been open for a couple of days. Do you think they have my info allread? If so how should I cash my cashiers check?
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 12:02 PM

Please post follow ups on same post

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankin...ng-289411.html
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 12:05 PM

They can have your info as quick as a click of a keyboard button
    But it may also take days, weeks, months and then again they may never run across it.
    All you can do is cross your fingers and go get your money the sec that you can if it hasn't been taken.

Dec 7, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    They can have your info as quick as a click of a keyboard button
    but it may also take days, weeks, months and then again they may never run across it.
    All you can do is cross your fingers and go get your money the sec that you can if it hasn't been taken.
    Well is there any other way to cash a cashier check without them taking a big chunk out of it?

Dec 7, 2008, 12:16 PM

You can try a check cashing place. But how about a novel idea, try paying what you owe. After all this is YOUR child you are cheating.

Dec 7, 2008, 12:18 PM

I merged the two threads. Please keep all posts relating to an issue in the same thread.

Dec 7, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You can try a check cashing place. But how about a novel idea, try paying what you owe. After all this is YOUR child you are cheating.
    I am going to pay!! I have just been working hard to support my children, they rnow w/me. So I am not cheating them I am trying to support them. This money goes to the state not them

Dec 7, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmybbys View Post
    i am going to pay!!! i have just been working hard to support my children, they rnow w/me. so i am not cheating them i am trying to support them. this money goes to the state not them
    Why do you say that? The state is only an intemediary. If the state is taking a cut its only to reimburse them for public assistance they paid out to support your kids previously. The state generally gets involved when the support is not paid.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 12:53 PM

I know when they garnish out of your bank they are not looking at you have to have $500 toward rent, $300. Toward utilities and so they will only take $1,200. Instead of the full amount so I can understand your problem.
    They are going to take out what they can when they catch up to your acct.
    You need to get as much paid asap though

Dec 7, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Why do you say that? The state is only an intemediary. If the state is taking a cut its only to reimburse them for public assistance they paid out to support your kids previously. The state generally gets involved when the support is not paid.
    I don't mean to sound harsh. It's just that I am trying hard. I just got back on my feet and by all means I intend to pay. It is just going to take a little. Bit of time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 week long periods [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had some concerns about my period this month. My peridos have always been regular, come around same time and last about 4-5 days. I haven't been on birth control for about 6+ months and still my periods are regular. This last period I got it normally lasted about 7 days and stopped. 2 days...

Long lasting 3 week periods [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am only 16 and I have been on my period for 3 weeks now and its really painful I also been having blood clots I am sexually active but not pregnant I haven't even started school yet because of it I really need help ...

13 Week Old Puppy Won't Eat (Long Read but with Cliffs) [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 13 week old Alaskan Husky/Golden Retriever puppy and every time we put her food bowl down all she does is sniff it, eat a few pieces and then walk away or drink water. Here's the long story (sorry for the long read): Up until around the 8 week mark, her appetite was really good. She...

View more questions Search