Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockerchick26 Posts: 93, Reputation: 22

Dec 7, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Septic System Oops! I flushed a.
    I moved into an apartment recently that has a septic system and I got the speech from my landlord about not flushing things. I am usually very careful, but I forgot and flushed two tampons.

I am wondering if I should be concerned and let my landlord know, or because it only happened twice, not worry about it and just be more careful. Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerchick26 View Post
    I moved into an apartment recently that has a septic system and I got the speech from my landlord about not flushing things. I am usually very careful, but I forgot and flushed two tampons.

I am wondering if I should be concerned and let my landlord know, or because it only happened twice, not worry about it and just be more careful. Thanks!

I was on a septic system for years. Tampons live pretty much forever in the system. My niece caused all kinds of problems by flushing just one, not saying anything and it got struck in the leach field drain pipes - or whatever those drain pipes are called (?).

I'm also a landlord. I'd want to know so the system can be pumped (if necessary) before the tampon gets stuck in the line.

I don't know experiences other people have had.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 7, 2008, 06:55 AM
    If your toilet hasn't stopped by now chances are they went out on the system. Le4t's not worry the landlord about it and be more careful in the future. However if you forget and flush one down and it stopps up the pottyyou can remove it with a closet auger. (see image) Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    rockerchick26 Posts: 93, Reputation: 22

Dec 7, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    If your toilet hasn't stopped by now chances are they went out on the system. Le4t's not worry the landlord about it and be more careful in the future. However if you forget and flush one down and it stopps up the pottyyou can remove it with a closet auger. (see image) Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

So far, I haven't noticed any change in how the toilet is working (thank goodness). I will keep my eye on it and if anything seems off, I will make sure to tell my landlord. Thanks for the advice Speedball1!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 11:53 AM

Usually, tampon gets through the toilet no problem. The problem is tampon traveling through horizontal sewer pipes. 50% of time the tampon will be carried to the street by the water flow inside the pipes. What you should do is to flush toilet several times and / or fill up tub full of water and drain it.

In case of septic, yes, it stays on the bottom until the septic is pumped out.

I don't think it is necessary to inform your landlord about the situation. Chances are that it will not cause any problem. But I would be careful next time, since flushing objects that hold water is the main cause of clogged sewer line.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 12:00 PM

Now I'm no septic system pro, but I can't imagine how a tampon could possibly clog the drain pipes in the leach field. Besides, don't most septic tanks have a screen covering the opening to the drain pipes to prevent objects of any significant size from entering? Not arguing, just curious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Septic system how do I cap it off? [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased land in Arkansas with a septic system already installed and has an outhouse on the property which is a mesquito haven. I want to remove the outhouse and cap off the septic system. How do I go about doing this? Thank you in advance for you help! :)

Flushed earrings down toilet into Septic! [ 5 Answers ]

What is the best procedure to access the septic and retrieve these earrings?:confused:

Septic System [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Our house, located in central New York State, has a 1,000 gallon septic tank. The tank was cleaned last fall. There are only two people living in the house and we have had few visitors. Today, I noticed that the area where the tank discharges to the leach field is soggy and the grass is...

Septic system [ 5 Answers ]

How do you tell if a septic system is dead. And if so How do you correct the problem?

Septic system [ 1 Answers ]

My system is 2 1/2 years old. The year of install we had major amounts of rain. This past year was a dry one all summer. My soil was graded moderate and I have 750 feet of leach. According to the sanitation dept. we have low usage for water. We also stopped washing on the same day. Ever since the...

View more questions Search