Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lance H Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 12:30 AM
    Challenge of Teaching (in Relation to Entertainment)
    I am a teacher in a public high school, and it is the hardest thing I have ever attempted to do. I say "attempted" because on a day-to-day basis, I'm not entirely sure I'm doing what I need to do to get these kids ready for their life after graduation. The biggest obstacle I am up against is apathy-- they simply don't care. If it's not constantly "entertaining," they don't want any part of it. They put their head down, attempt a conversation w/ a neighbor, or stare out the window. I find myself constantlly trying to become an entertainer--constantly cracking jokes, making emphatic gestures, trying to engage them w/ spectacular Power Point presentations, "dumbing down" my speech to relate to them in colloquial terms-- it's frustrating. If I wanted to be a comedian or an actor, I would have stood in the long lines outside of New York or Hollywood. Instead, I recognized my intellect, insight, and interest in my content area, as well as my ability to share it with others. When did "school teacher' become "stage performer"? These kids don't prefer entertainment-- they demand it. And further, they know their "rights"; that is, they know two things: at the end of the day, 1. their parents have their backs, 2. by proxy, (when the heat gets hot) the administration has their backs. That's it. At one end, we have state regulations crammed down our throat, at the other end, we have parents and a system that's all-too-willing to "cave." Tell me how, in a set-up like that, are you to win hearts and minds?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 12:43 AM

Hi, Lance H!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just moved your question that you had posted in Introductions to this topic area so that it would get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

Your question will be more likely to get a response that is to your satisfaction in this topic area.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

Thanks!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 01:27 PM

You are quite correct in your assessment Lance, unfortunately. With instant gratification and numerous sources of entertainment that require little engagement, many students find sitting and paying attention in class far too difficult a task.

Certainly educators can make some topics relative, lively, and engaging, but there are some that just won't be as entertaining. There takes a great deal of thinking outside of the box... get away from the text books, present the information through open discussion, invoke their passions and require them to be able to back up their opinions. Sometimes trying different tactics work... sort of reverse psychology... mix it up once in awhile and see which works best for each group.

Schools and educators are blamed for much that is wrong with education today, and certainly there are some teachers who should not be teaching, but what has truly changed is society in general. Education is not as respected as it once was, many parents are often too busy in their own lives to be there for their child starting in elementary school. Schools are expected to "parent" the students on one hand through various programs that are now a required part of the curriculum, but not try to tell them what to do on the other. By high school, students have far less parental involvement and when parents don't seem to really care about education, why should the student? Many parents are quick to jump on you when you try to force their child to take responsibility for their education, but can't be bothered to back it up at home... or they simply don't know how as seen with how the cycle has been repeating itself.

You are fighting an uphill battle, but you will get through to some, you will make a difference in those few, who even if you don't see it now, it will surface at a later time. You plant the seeds; don't always get to see the growth... but it's there. You won't get through to everyone... frustrating to be sure. Some students simply will have to fail and learn from their own mistakes. For some, it won't be until they mature a bit before they realize the opportunities they wasted.

All you can do is present the material, be available, and be encouraging. There comes a point in time where they will have to take a greater role in their own education.
    bso Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
    "All you can do is present the material, be available, and be encouraging. There comes a point in time where they will have to take a greater role in their own education.:)

I really liked reading your response. Today was one of those days that I thought, "Man, why am I doing this?" All day, I heard whine, whine, whine, complain, complain, and so on. Every project I do is to guide my students in thinking critically, in expressing their creativity, and showing them that there is more than one way to show what they have learned. After today, I felt like crying because of their attitudes. I know a classroom attitude reflects that of a teacher but I am always smiling, excited when I introduce a new lesson and/ or project, and even one of my rules is to be positive because attitude affects the outcome of most situations, which by the way is something I always tell my students. I greet each student at the door with a smile, a handshake, a "How's it going today?" and such but today my oh my I wanted to scream. And I agree with the other response that sometimes I do feel that I am more of an entertainer when really I want to teach my students, give them the gift that will add to their success and open the door to opportunities. Aaaaaahhhhh. Today was just one of those days. Tomorrow will be a great day. If not well there is always a reason for something.
    Anyway, thanks a million. Your words really helped me get motivated again.
    Have a great day!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 10:03 PM

bso--thanks for teaching!

I'm in administration at a small private college, and believe me, you DO make a difference.

I know it's a hard row to hoe--I decided NOT to teach after one semester of education courses--but believe me, the fruit that I see that comes from teachers like you is often surprising and nearly always a treat.

Keep up the good work--there are those of us out there that offer thanks and praise every day that you're there and trying to keep kids involved in their own education.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 06:01 AM

And then that is if you are not in fear for your life in the teaching environment. I used to do sub teaching and will tell you, I have walked the cell blocks of the worst prisons in the US, and none of them scared me as much as some of the inner city schools.

Jan 10, 2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks Synnen. And in regards to Fr_Chuck. I know that a school and be a scary place. I was actually yelled at by a student. He was mad! But we were able to sit down and talk and everything turned out to be okay.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 03:50 PM

Glad to hear it worked out bso. As long as the good days out number the stressful ones, things are good... :)

I tell myself when I find I am no longer planning what I will do differently or the same next year, when I am no longer excited at the prospect of a new group of students and the challenge of getting them where they need to be, then I will know it is time to get out of the profession.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 04:28 PM

At the public library where I work, I supervise court-ordered community service workers, ofttimes teens. They aren't hard-core offenders (yet)--usually a first offense. It always amazes me that many of them know what a topic sentence is, know how to diagram a sentence, know their times tables, and can even think outside the box if pushed a bit. They clean the library, but, as a former teacher, I also put them to work writing essays and diagramming sentences and doing math problems (with the permission of probation).

Teachers must be getting through somehow, someway.
    ArnieH Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 02:06 PM
    I was a high school English teacher for 18 years, and believe me, I feel your pain.
    The problem is, imo, that we are trying to teach kids in an anachronistc school system that's still mainly based on actually reading books.
    These young people have grown up and been conditioned by an all-pervasive video culture, starting with Sesame Street and similar entertainment/informational shows. I remember one student saying after I told the class were were going to begin a novel, "Hey man, why can't we just look at the movie??"

The way we educate in this country has to be revolutionized and brought into the 21st century. I'm sure you're doing the best you can within the system and guidelines provided for you.
    You can take some consolation from the fact that, whether you're aware of it or not, you are having a positive effect on some students

Feb 4, 2009, 09:38 PM
    To ArnieH,
    It is interesting that you brought that up. Today in a meeting we actually watched a video on today's students and the way they learn. I believe the video was downloaded from The Center of Innovative Learning? I could be wrong on that. I'll let you know later. The video was about how kids nowadays are so into technology and we are all about meeting student needs and why not teach kids what they need to know using what they already know and enjoy doing. We have to prepare our kids for the future and technology is one of those things that is there and we must, it is our duty. I thought it was very interesting that today's teachers, well either some or most, do not know what a "wikis" is. Gosh, I don't even know what it is! I remember my son the other day on his spelling words had the word walkman to write a sentence about and he asked me "What is that?" I then explained to him what it was and he was like "Oh! You mean an IPod!" Imagine that. He is only 8!
    Good point you brought up!
    BSO
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 04:11 AM

Certainly need to keep up with the times... most of their textbooks are now online so they can access them that way. I know several teachers who have their students doing about 90% of their work online. This works out well when your student population all have computers available to them... but that isn't always the case. The technology certainly has been tremendous in bringing classrooms up to the times but, as with most things, it has its problems.
    I've had students tell me that they couldn't get the help they needed because mom or dad were always on the computer!
    I do think we would do our students a disservice if we make it an either/or situation. Definitely use the technologly but don't dismiss the need to be able to pick up a book and know how to use it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Definitely use the technologly but don't dismiss the need to be able to pick up a book and know how to use it.
    Just imagine all of us working in Libraryland. Students used to come to the library after school, armed with notebooks, notecards, assignment sheets, pens and pencils, and had frustrated expressions on their face. We helped them find reference books that contained the information they needed to take notes on and then helped them search the stacks for circulating books to take home with them.

All that has changed thanks to the Internet and the amazing technology that we carry in our pockets and purses. Libraries, struggling mightily not to die out entirely, are in the process of reinventing themselves. We too want our patrons to know what a book is and how to use it. But we are learning how to make that technology useful for us and for our patrons as we all go to the library to find answers to questions, for entertainment, and for lifelong learning. (Last Friday local librarians attended a seminar on cloudware. Who knew it had nothing to do with the weather!)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 10:17 AM

While technology is the way that students PLAY, and it can AID in learning, it should not be the only way a student learns.

Your ISP's headquarters getting hit by a comet should not be an excuse for not being able to turn in a research paper. One should STILL know how to conduct research without the dubious help of the internet.
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Feb 12, 2009, 07:58 PM

Lance, I feel your pain!!

I teach middle school and a few of the classes I teach are "taught" using the computer. I HATE IT! I have no say in the matter however. The students are supposed to read their lessons, take notes (oh, and did I mention thtat the notes aren't really notes, they are answering questions on a page) then take a lesson test that they are allowed to take as many times as they need to pass it, then a unit test at the end of the unit!! Well, they have learned to cheat the system. So they never read the lesson, they answer bogus questions on the notes, and they take the test a million times guessnig until they pass it. Ok, my hands being tied because this is the way I am TOLD I have to do it (forget my college degree as an educator because apparently I must not have enough sense to make my own decisions for my classroom) what do you do when the classroom curriculum caters to a students laziness and lack of motivation?? What kind of lesson is it when they are letting technology basically do everything for them.? I'm all for keeping up with the times and teaching kids to use technology that they will need in the future, but our biggest problem is not that they can't use the technology. Our biggest problem is that they don't have a clue as to how to use their brains!!

They are so used to having everything done for them and having everything in vibrant color with sound and lights that they don't know how to use their brain to imagine stuff for themselves. Too much computer, too much TV, too much xbox and playstation, too much babying!

I must say, I am extremely worried about our future. Just think the same kid that has to use a calculator to add 2+2 is the one that will be voting when he turns 18. I can't wait!
    ArnieH Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
    To quote Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain!"

It didn't take me many years as a teacher to come to the realization that the system is dysfunctional. It's like a massive game of ' lets pretend'!
    True, even though the latest technology's being used, that doesn't mean the students' mindset has been changed an iota.
    Like you say, they want the work done for them. Most of them have no clue as to how to reason and use their brains to find answers.
    It used to aggravate me no end when I'd give an assignment that required they read , God forbid, a WHOLE page and then answer 5 or 6 questions. Of course, the idea of actually reading the piece was out of the question. They'd look at the questions and then go on a scavenger hunt in the material to attempt to find the answer.
    Since this inevitably led to taking their answers out of context they were usually wrong. But, hey, it's quicker that way!
    I think that what makes good educators today is that they work in spite of the system, not
    Within its parameters. Try to shake things up a bit (of course, there's always the danger of running afoul of those dull-minded careerists, the administrators who just care, like Mussolini, that the trains are running on time.
    Otherwise, the whole system will have to be overhauled and re-thought, which, with the way the economy and society is crumbling right now, may come about sooner than you think.
    I recommend a book , "The Underachieving School", by John Holt, written in the 60's, but will make you want to stand up and cheer with tears in your eyes.
    virginiawife Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
    As a teacher, you are always 'on stage'. That, I feel, is the beauty of the job! I make my classroom as interesting as possible. I know I do a good job. Do I reach every student?NO, there are too many students that truly do not want to be there, but I do try. If I find students are not engaged, I take several approaches, for example-if they are not looking good, I assume they are not feeling well and ask them about it--it shows I care. If there are side-bar talking, I stop talking and say to the entire class (not calling them out the first time) "I can wait for you to finish your conversation"--they normally stop, but if they don't then I address the culprits directly and politely ask them to stop. IF that does not work, then I hold them after class for the same amount of time they made me waste. If the entire class is acting up (typically right before holidays, bad weather days, etc.) then I remind them that they are wasting my time (they know I will then waste theirs). I know this sounds harsh, and time-consuming, but you don't have to do it often and they learn.

Try and read your class and re-evaluate your curriculum and activities. If the students are not engaged, maybe you need to tweak the activity.

Sometimes, you may not be able to get through to some--give it a whirl, involve the parents, student and administrators and that is all you can do. Don't kill yourself--try but don't forget the other 29 or so students that are putting for the effort. Try to find a common ground but don't work twice as hard as they do, especially if you are getting through to the other 90% of the kids! YOu will only become burned-out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Entertainment license [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get an entertainment agents liscince?

Entertainment Agent [ 4 Answers ]

How do I go about becoming a talent agent in LA? I don't want to work for an agancy, just start my own. What licenses, etc... do I need and where do I go to acquire them?

Entertainment careers [ 3 Answers ]

Steps in starting a marketing/street team for music clients? How to become a A&R for a record company? Steps in pursuing in the field of PR(Public Relations)?

Entertainment with children [ 4 Answers ]

When I'm older will I work with kids entertaining them?

Entertainment [ 1 Answers ]

We have never been to NY but we think that everyone should go one time on New Years even we will arrive on Friday afternoon and have the weekend through New years eve to explore NY. We would like to take a carriage ride and see the Christmas Tree Rockefeller center any suggestion would be helpful

View more questions Search