Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Dec 6, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Best way to insulate vaulted roof
    We currently live in a modular home that was built in 1989. The middle of the house has vaulted ceilings, the two ends of the home, where the bedrooms are, have regular ceilings. There is only attic space access on one end of the house. I was wondering what would be the best way to install extra insulation in the attice space that we can't get to, and in the vaulted ceiling part. I know in the middle of the house there can't be much in the way of insulation between the ceiling inside and the roof outside. We are planning on new shingles in 1-2 years. Is taking the sheeting off and putting insulation down, replacing the sheeting and the roofing a good way to do it, or is there a better way. Thanks.
    kepdawg Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 11:28 AM

1st thing I would do is open a small portion of the ceiling to see if it is insulated, or consult the original plans to see if insulation is listed on the making of the ceiling.
    If insulation is still desired or needed:
    Either way your going to have to open up the ceiling or the roof.
    New shingles and taking up the ply-wood to insulate sounds like the easy and cleanest way to go. Ripping off the ceiling drywall has a few down sides.
    Messy in the house.
    If the sheetrock was hung properly, the walls help support the rock on the ceiling.
    Vaulted ceilings is tough to mud and sand.
    Then prime/paint!

Personally I'd do the roof even though I hate roofing.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 06:32 PM

Usually in modular homes the insulation is the blown in type not the batt type. You might want to add to the insulation from the inside of the home not through the roof.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 07:33 PM

How far do you want to go to insulate the house?

1 way would be to remove the shingle roof,add a product called 'nailine'(I believe this is the name,I'll check to be sure)Nailine is a wood/solid insulation/wood sandwich which applies the product in one step.I have used this on a few roofs in the past.

Thicknesses very as per need and insulation value.

It was pricey,and with the gas prices going down,, well you decide what you want.

This is a site for the product I have explained.

http://www.insulatedbuildingpanels.com/
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2008, 08:38 AM

You could also consider a roof-over. This adds the extra insulation you want and also redoes the roof so you don't have to redo your roof with shingles. It is usually a metal roof with insulation under the metal roof. You do not have to ditch the existing roof to have the roof over installed. It is a route I went when I owned a very large double wide. You might want to look into that versus ripping up your existing roof and adding insulation under it.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 20, 2009, 08:06 PM

If you decide to take down the ceiling at insulate from the inside, I would go with Icynene spray foam. It's more expensive than bat, but you'll never regret it. I just had the stuff installed in my Cape Cod and I'm currently saving 30% on my natural gas usage. And these figures aren't just quoted from some sales rep, I just did the math from my last bill.
    microllins Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 08:44 PM

I did spray foam insulation for several years. It is expensive, but incredibly efficient. I would go with a closed cell type, not icynene. Icynene is open cell, it works pretty well but will absorb water like a sponge if there is ever a leak.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Office2003 valkyrie.dll vaulted mail [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the valkyrie.dll get disabled in Outlook 2003? Periodically valkyrie.dll is listed as a disabled add-in in Outlook 2003. This causes the clients vaulted items to become inaccessible. Simply enabling it fixes the problem, does anyone know what causes it to be disabled or how to stop...

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

Hanging ceilling fan from vaulted ceiling [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 21 foot ceiling and I want to replace a ceiling fan. I have several questions: 1) the ceilling fan I purchased was from Home Depot, Hampton Bay, 52" Pointe Vecchio model # AC434-WB and in the specifications is says maximum hanging height is 12 feet. What does this mean? Is it 12 feet...

Pointing register up to vaulted ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

In my apartment, the living room has a vaulted ceiling. I live in Florida so it's about 92 outside, and there is so much heat just sitting up in the ceiling. The heat is too high up to be felt when standing on the floor, but it prevents the living room from ever getting cool. Not much air comes out...

View more questions Search