Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsosad14 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Amateur poet
    Hey everyone, I am an ametauer poet and was wondering if this poem about a girl I like was any good. Please, any advice, likes or dislikes about it is needed.

Angela
    My latin fire, girl that i desire
    Your big brown eyes full of care
    The light that makes my darkness dissapear
    When i'm with you, there's always a rush
    But always feeling that you might crush
    My heart that has been scarred
    Loving you could be very hard
    But i'm willing to take a chance
    Of hopingly finding romance
    Because your're the girl of my dreams
    We belong together it seem
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 10:27 PM

Two suggestions:

The meter needs to be changed, broken up a bit. It reads a bit like a song lyric. (If you have the inclination, you could easily put it to music.) But it's a little sing-songy. Try breaking up the lines and losing some of the rhyming. Once you start playing around with form you'll find things really open up for you.

"Hopingly" doesn't work. Not because it isn't a word--I'm all in favor of poetic license here, crafting new words in playful ways. It's just that this particular word doesn't work on the line. When you go back through a poem you write, take each line at a time and try to figure out whether each word carries its weight. In this case, the line leaves my tongue in a knot.

Don't give up on the poem. Just spend some time shaping it. It will pay off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poet: Aspiration Not Occupation [ 2 Answers ]

ASPIRATION AND OCCUPATION “Poet” names an aspiration not an occupation... Once a poem is resolved, I lose the sense of having written it. I can remember circumstances, but not sensations, not what it felt like to be writing. This amnesia is almost immediate and most complete when poems are...

Book of Amateur Radio Circuits [ 2 Answers ]

Hello!1 I would like to find a book that has "old time" Tube Circuits for Ham Radio Transmitters, if there is such,does anyone know where I could obtain one? Any kind of help is deeply appreciated! Thank Everyone!! //greyeagle

The Great Amateur Gallery [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I was wondering where can I find more about the large gallery that accepts amateur works of art (e.g. drawings, paintings, oil on canvas, sculptures, etc.). Is there Great Amateur Gallery of the World?

Am I a talented poet [ 2 Answers ]

Im wandering if somebody can see if I have talent

Amateur investor [ 2 Answers ]

I am an amateur in investing I have been following the US stock market and researching stocks for the past 6 months and reading books that would help me with the stocks. I would like to start investing money into the stock market, but I am anxious if I have enough knowledge to start with. Is it...

View more questions Search