Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmelong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Airlock problem on water Intake valve into House
    I have a house that is 4 1/2 years old. I am on city water and all of a sudden about just over 1 month ago I started having a banging problem on the major water intake Valve into the house when I flush the toilets, washer starts filling up with water, turning on the Taps in the basement. This problem is gradually getting worse. Any thoughts on how this could be fix

Regards, Peter
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 5, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pmelong
    I have a house that is 4 1/2 years old. I am on city water and all of a sudden about just over 1 month ago I started having a banging problem on the major water intake Valve into the house when I flush the toilets, washer starts filling up with water, turning on the Taps in the basement. This problem is gradually getting worse. Any thoughts on how this could be fix
    Regards, Peter
    Hey Pete,

This isn't a "air lock" problem. What you have is "water hammer". Read on.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Good luck, Tom
    pmelong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Hi again

I did what you suggested and the same problem is happening. I had mentioned that the noise is centered at the major intake of the house. This intake is attached to the meter and it sounds like it coming from the meter to be honest. Any suggestions as to what action I can take!

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Pete,

This isn't a "air lock" problem. What you have is "water hammer". Read on.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is importent.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Good luck, Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2006, 05:37 AM
    Call the utilities company and have them replace the meter. If this is the source then it becomes their responsibility. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Fixing a leaking intake valve [ 12 Answers ]

Do I need to call a plumber to fix a leaking intake valve for cold water to my washing machine -- is this a soldering job? The valve leaks when I open it, and drips even when I shut it closed clockwise. Thanks, I tried searching this page and didn't see any previous posts, sorry if I am repeating...

Shut off valve - 80 year old house [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question about shut off valves for plumbing on 80 year old home in Omaha. Does anyone have a ballpark idea of what plumber charges should be to replace shut off valve inside (basement) and outside at the street? The water company said to call a plumber as the valve at the street is...

Problem with Toyota Tundra K&N Intake Kit! [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I just installed a K&N intake kit on my 2000 Toyota Tundra V8. After installing it I drove my truck it sounded great and then after 5-10min driving I started to hear rattling noise when accelerating around 45mph. I took it off put my stock intake and there was no rattling noise . Yet again I...

Poor Water Pressure throughout House - Regulator Valve may need adjusting? [ 3 Answers ]

We are experiencing poor water pressure. We have lived in the house for about 2 years and have never had great water pressure. I noticed what seems to be a regulator valve of sorts on the main line coming into the house (see picture) and was wondering if I can adjust this valve to increase the...

View more questions Search