Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 07:32 PM
    How do I tell if our dogs are playing or fighting?
    My husband and I have a great dane puppy and a husky- he's 11. Sometimes they seem completely content around each other, lay on the same run and chew on their toys and sometimes they start growling and/or barking. I noticed when taking our puppy to puppy classes that some of the other dogs are also vocal during play time. She usually isn't in vocal in puppy classes but when our husky starts making noises sometimes she will too. So my question is how do I know if they're fighting?
    Yamahagal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 08:25 PM
    With males especially the hair along the back spine will stand and tail will remain still ears will stand at attention and a defensive stance will be used. With females they are very vocal and again no tail wagging and usually they will be in defensive stance as well... hope this helps
    lisa45 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2008, 08:32 PM
    They show teeth and growl..
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 09:56 PM

Hmm... I guess they're not fighting then. Thanks guys!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 6, 2008, 10:55 PM

I would suspect that one or the other is trying to gain their status as the dominant one, Zoe Marie. Just keep an eye on them. You should be able to see the difference between play fighting and a fight about to happen. Their body language will change. If you see it starting to get out of control, try and catch it before it even starts, and keep an eye on who was the procrastinator. If you give the one that started it a quick correction, put him back into a submissive state, before he is allowed to go back and play.
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Dec 8, 2008, 07:19 AM

Every dog pair is different and you have to learn your dogs vocal and body language cues. My dogs wrestle a lot, sometimes it's silent except for the snapping of teeth, other times there's a lot of growling and snarling but it's not the same tone as their "business" voice. My general theory with my own dogs is if it's loud and lots of biting/snapping is going on but no yelping is happening they are simply having a good time.
    Ber

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

AVG and AOL are fighting [ 2 Answers ]

I run with XP - also have Vista, which I hate - and AVG. A computer person set my system up for me. "Something" keeps loading onto my computer and I can't access any sites. I get a conflict message. When asked if I want AOL to update, I say no. Microsoft never asks me anything, nor does AVG....

Mom and dad are fighting [ 3 Answers ]

Mom and dad are fighting and were moving in a good home its lot of mony and dad wates to quit the job what should I do

Two dogs fighting, sisters [ 2 Answers ]

I have two 20 month old Sisters who are fantastically well behaved in the house very loving to each other and sleep together all cuddled up. However take them both out together and within minutes they are wanting to rip each other throats out literally!! Dot is the bigger of the wo and I...

My dogs intestines turn while playing [ 9 Answers ]

My standard Poodle just recently passed away, He was outside playing and came in from outside and was mouning in pain, put into car to take him to the Vet and he died before we got there. They told us with large chested dogs his intestines turned (cut off his air supply) while he was running and...

View more questions Search