Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natan123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Marriage twice
    I was maried in Texas and I went to vegas to get married even thought I was still married we came back to Texas and than I left to California am I still married to the one in vegas even thought the divorce in Texas happen one year later after I got married in vegas
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 05:28 PM

Periods between your sentences would make then easier to read and divorces between your marriages would be a good idea too.

I believe that you were never legally married to the Las Vegas woman because you cannot legally get married to a second person if you are still married to the first. If you are legally divorced from the first one (Texas), then I think you are not married to anybody. However, I am not an expert. You should talk to a lawyer. Also, there may be important details you have not mentioned here.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 11:47 AM

Yeah sounds like another marriage ceremony would be the solution now that she is legally divorced.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 01:07 PM

I was under the impression the OP has parted from the vegas one, too, so no need for a marriage at this time. Right?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 01:10 PM

If she is with neither one then I would guess she needs to get the vegas one divorced or annulled as well just so there is no paper work that can be taken as she is or may be married.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 08:53 PM

No, since you were still married when you got married, that wedding is not legal or valid. You are guilty of bigomy and could be criminally charged for being "married" to two people at the same time, if one of the two wife's decided to really get back at you. But the 2nd was not a legal valid wedding
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by natan123 View Post
    i was maried in texas n i went to vegas to get married even thought i was still married we came back to texas n than i left to california am i still married to the one in vegas even thought the divorce in texas happen one year later after i got married in vegas
    No, you can't be married to two people at the same time. That's bigamy. So if your divorce was not final until after your marriage in Las Vegas your Las Vegas marriage is void-- it's like it never happened.

Now, you can marry the same person as many times as you want to. I had a client once, who was not very bright, who got a divorce and then decided it was a mistake and wanted to remarry the same person. He called asking when his divorce was final because he and his wife wanted to remarry (it was too late to stop the divorce from going through) and he said he was concerned because he didn't want to be a bigamist. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Love marriage or arrange marriage? [ 6 Answers ]

I have boyfriend but my parents want that I will do marriage with a boy of their choice.I really love my Boyfriend and he also love me. What should I do?

Gay Marriage [ 153 Answers ]

Are you for or against Gay Marriage?

Marriage and me [ 1 Answers ]

When will be the date I'm going to get marrried

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Marriage [ 7 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend live in the same state,but in a different city.We been going together for almost 3months and he asked me to marry him on valentines day next year. Do you think that it's to soon to be talking about marriage. He was born in 3/7/1984 and I was born 9/27/1984. I want to move down...

View more questions Search