Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandro28 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Help to make a laptop act as another TV
    Hello, my question today is about how to view the TV channels on laptop to
    Record a TV show.. what do I need in a laptop so that I can be able to do this.. I
    Heard many different ways to do this and I am so confused now and don't know
    Which laptop can do this.. some sources say I need a video in port and this is
    Very difficult to find nowadays in a laptop.. others say I need a TV tuner and
    The laptop I saw with a TV tuner has got an integrated TV tuner lifeview LR534
    FlyTV... the specifications of this tuner can be found in the following link:
    http://support.packardbell.com/it/it...ppn=PB51D00306
    The link says that this tuner will let me see the digital terrestrial channels
    As if it is a digital terrestrial decoder.. but it is not clear info because not
    Written whether it can receive analogue signals or not.. I don't need the digital
    Terrestrial.. I just need to connect between the TV and the laptop so that I can
    view the same TV channel on both of them at same time as if the TV is connected
    To another TV.. other sources are talking about video capture cards... hope you help
    Me.. Moreover, if I get a laptop without video in port and without a TV tuner,
    How can I make this laptop do what I wanted above? Thanks and sorry for this
    Long message
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2006, 08:21 AM
    You should just need a TV tuner. THe one you pointed out looks fine. Also if it supports analogue - it should support digital. Anyway, analogue won't be around for ever so going with a digital tuner is the way to go.

Quick note - I believe recording TV shows for personal viewing is fine but sharing them over the internet with others will be breaking copyright laws.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 5, 2006, 10:09 AM
    You can't connect the laptop to a TV. You need to connect it to a TV tuner which in turn has to be connected to a broadcast source. That broadcast source can be either an antenna, cable or a cable/sateliite settop box. If you are going to use a settop box, then you don't need a tuner as the settop box does the tuning. If youa re connecting directly to an Antenna lead or Cable TV cable, then you will need a tuner to select the channel you want to record.

Once you have the signal tuned to the channel, you need to have software running on the PC that record the programming. You also need a pretty large hard drive to save the recording on.

Jul 5, 2006, 02:53 PM
    To LTheobald: the problem is that I think this TV tuner does not support analogue.. it is digital only.. I am not sure anyway.. and if so, then it would not be possible connecting between this TV tuner and the TV or the satellite decoder for example.. I sent an email to the manufacturer of this TV tuner to know whether it supports analogue or not but didn't get a reply yet.. by the way, I don't want to share the recorded TV shows with others on the net.. I just need to record TV show because I have a partial hearing loss and I put hearing aids.. this is why it is difficult hearing live TV programs and recording them will help me..

To ScottGem: the broadcast source I have is a motorized satellite dish with LNB.. this LNB is connected to a satellite digital decoder.. this decoder is connected to TV normally.. so it is not antenna or cable TV.. it is a satellite TV.. and I don't need to select the channel using the laptop.. I will select it using the satellite decoder... so if I want to capture the video or see the satellite channels, I need to get them either directly from the satellite decoder which has an RFOUT or directly from the TV which is connected to the decoder.. am I correct? Anyway in both cases, I don't know where to plug them into the laptop?
    From what you said, I understand that in this case, I don't need a TV tuner.. what do I need then to do this? The laptop doesn't have a video input or AV in.. and if I get the TV tuner in the link above, it doesn't have a video input too.. it has just got an input for antenna TV terrestrial.. it is a complicated issue.. hope we can resolve this problem..

Thanks to both of you for replying.. I appreciate your cooperation

Jul 5, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Most likely your TV doesn't have output, only input. So you can't get it from the TV. So you want to get it from the satellite box. Most settop boxes have multiple outputs, so you can match one of those output types to a video capture device that will connect to the laptop. Its actually not that complicated because you have limited choices. Basically you want to capture the output from settop box, record it on your PC using some software that will more than likely come with the video capture device.

Jul 6, 2006, 02:54 PM
    Hello Scott, I don't know anything about specifications of video capture devices.. what are the specifications I need to look for to get a good one? Is it the memory for example or is it the frequency of this card?
    Look the outputs I have in the satellite decoder are: RFOUT, AUDIO L, AUDIO R and VIDEO.. what type of cable do I need to make this connection? If I put one end of a cable in the rf out or video out of the decoder, the other end where do I have to plug it? Which port do I need in the video capture card to do this connection?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2006, 02:55 PM
    I've just found this:

http://www.intel.com/personal/howto/...o_recorder.htm

Looks like a regular TV tuner card will do the job. Cable - Satellite; Same thing really.

Jul 6, 2006, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandro28
    hello Scott, i dont know anything about specifications of video capture devices..what are the specifications i need to look for to get a good one? is it the memory for example or is it the frequency of this card?
    look the outputs i have in the satellite decoder are: RFOUT, AUDIO L, AUDIO R and VIDEO..what type of cable do i need to make this connection? if i put one end of a cable in the rf out or video out of the decoder, the other end where do i have to plug it? which port do i need in the video capture card to do this connection?
    The link LT gave you seems interesting. Though you don't need anything that actually changes the channels. I would suggest taking a picutre of the settop box and going to a Radio Shack to see what cables you need.

Jul 7, 2006, 04:38 AM
    Thanks to Ltheo and Thanks to Scott.. you were both of great help
    zaccarterlmt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandro28
    Hello, my question today is about how to view the TV channels on laptop to
    record a tv show..what do i need in a laptop so that i can be able to do this..i
    heard many different ways to do this and i am so confused now and dont know
    which laptop can do this..some sources say i need a video in port and this is
    very difficult to find nowadays in a laptop..others say i need a tv tuner and
    the laptop i saw with a tv tuner has got an integrated tv tuner lifeview LR534
    FlyTV... the specifications of this tuner can be found in the following link:
    Multi Media Components - LR534 DVB-T TV Tuner Features & Specifications - spec_tvtuner_lr534 - Information and Instructions - EASYNOTE V7908 - PB51D00306 - EasyNote V7 / MV85 series - platform_sable_gt - Notebook
    the link says that this tuner will let me see the digital terrestrial channels
    as if it is a digital terrestrial decoder..but it is not clear info because not
    written wether it can receive analogue signals or not..i dont need the digital
    terrestrial..i just need to connect between the tv and the laptop so that i can
    view the same tv channel on both of them at same time as if the tv is connected
    to another tv..other sources are talking about video capture cards...hope u help
    me..Moreover, if i get a laptop without video in port and without a tv tuner,
    how can i make this laptop do what i wanted above? Thanks and sorry for this
    long message
    Go to newegg.com and search a USB TV tuner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which laptop [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am Claire, I want a laptop for making home movies and I want to know what is the best one to get. I want good graphics, large memory and very portable. Any advice would be great. Thanks

New laptop [ 6 Answers ]

I just purchased a laptop a couple of months ago. I have been using a dialup to connect to the net. I was wondering if I could use my cell phone to connect by just attaching it to my laptop and dialing out?

Best Laptop for... [ 3 Answers ]

I use Dragon Speaking Naturally, and need at least 500 MHz. I also have a preference for something light, as I travel/write, and word processing is my main desire. I want something with a screen size around 10 or 11 inches. Sound Blaster (clone) is recommended. A (built-in) CDrw/DVD would be...

Which laptop? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to purchase a laptop, most probably used,but I haven't a clue how to begin knowing which one is best. I've tried a few of my friend's but I am still not sure what to look for. I'm not going to be doing anything fancy, like desktop publishing, but I would like to be able to see DVDs, and...

View more questions Search