Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fgnichols Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Breaking our house lease in Texas
    I live in Texas. WE signed a lease for one year. The landlord hangs around our yard a lot while we are at work. The neighbors let us know. HE evidently is peeking in the windows. We have rented another house and are moving out. He said that we will have to pay him rent for the rest of the lease and he will take us to court. My question is this, can the courts garnish my wages in Texas if he gets a judgement against us? HE seems like one of those really nasty old nitpickers that want to control everything and everybody.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 03:04 PM

He can sue you, and he can get a judgement against you, he can report this to the credit bureu and ruin your credit. I do not believe Texas allows garnishment for the paycheck for this, but he can attempt to bill you and attempt collections for the rest of your life if he wants.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2008, 03:14 PM

He certainly can sue you for breaking the lease. I'm not so sure he will win. If you can show he was harassing you you may be able to justify breaking the lease. He also can't sue you for the balance of the lease. He has to show he's made a good faith effort to rent the property and can only charge you until he finds a new tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a leasing contract for an apartment in Texas to purchanse a new house [ 4 Answers ]

Do I have any other way to get out if I breach a contract agreement with the apartment, because I want to buy a new home, and the new home is a really good offer not to miss out? Could you let me know. Thanks

Breaking a Lease in Texas. [ 4 Answers ]

I have lived in this apt for almost a month. I currently had sum harassment from a crazy old friend. She and her criminal boyfriend have threatened to hurt me and my three yr old son. I moved all my stuff out and I am hoping I get out the lease w the police report filed and statements from...

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Breaking a lease to buy a new house [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to buy my first home in October, but my lease is not up until March 31st. Is there any legal way of getting out of the lease? I live in Texas if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Breaking lease due to Corp relocation in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Recently got new position which requires relocation. 1 year lease began Aug 2006 but must relocate by Feb 1 07. What can I expect in terms of breaking the lease ?

View more questions Search