Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkuhn47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 10:34 AM
    1993 Pauillac, Bordeaux, Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite), Reserve Speciale
    Dear Sir:
    I recently purchased a house and included in the sale of the house were a couple of cases of wine. In the past few months, I have recently begun to delve into the fascinating aromas and flavors of different wines, and am a true novice.
    I am interested in learning more about the wines that were included in the sale of the house. I have been able to find very little on these wines over the internet, and was hoping that your expertised would be able to help me. The two wines are:
    --1993 Pauillac, Bordeaux, Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite), Reserve Speciale
    --1990 Tinelum, Vielles Vignes, Pouilly-Fume

Are these wines past their peak maturation years?
    As the holidays approach, what would be an ideal pairing for these wines?
    What is there monetary value?

Any information that you can provide for me would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help. Have a great holiday season!

Sincerely,
    Matthew Kuhn, M.D
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 6, 2008, 11:20 AM
    1993 Pauillac, Bordeaux, Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite), Reserve Speciale - 93 was a good vintage and the wines are drinking well now.
    For claret drinkers looking for decent, well-made drinking claret, this is an ideal vintage. They are all drinking well and are consistently delicious and reliable
    As for this particular one, it is a lesser label from the Great Rothschild house.

1990 Tinelum, Vielles Vignes, Pouilly-Fume - Awesome vintage indeed, possibly one of the greatest of the last century!!
    The dry whites of Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé were powerful but slightly atypical, with their low acidity levels making them suitable for early drinking
    Now this wine is made from grapes grown on very old vines (Vielles Vignes) averaging 30+ years. The yield from these vines is low, but the resultant fruit is massively concentrated. Unfortunately I don't know this producer, so I can't give a definitive recommendation, but it should be drinking extremely well.

Now assuming that these wines have been well kept at a low (10-12C) temperature and haven't been repeatedly moved they both should be excellent for the up coming holiday.

They will both partner the classic Turkey and trimmings.

As to value, in all honesty, not all that great as the bordeaux is, as mentioned, a lesser label and the Pouilly-Fume, while at it's peak, doesn't really fetch a great deal.

if you had serious documented providence to accompany them, like a celebrity connection or similar then the price maybe more, but with the global financial meltdown wine prices have taken a nose dive.

If these where mine, I would invite some good friends over and enjoy them.

Hope this proves some enlightenment for you.
    if you have any other questions feel free to ask, I did 10 years in the UK Wine Trade and love the subject.
    mkuhn47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    1993 Pauillac, Bordeaux, Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite), Reserve Speciale - 93 was a good vintage and the wines are drinking well now.
    For claret drinkers looking for decent, well-made drinking claret, this is an ideal vintage. They are all drinking well and are consistently delicious and reliable
    As for this particular one, it is a lesser label from the Great Rothschild house.

1990 Tinelum, Vielles Vignes, Pouilly-Fume - Awesome vintage indeed, possibly one of the greatest of the last century !!!
    The dry whites of Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé were powerful but slightly atypical, with their low acidity levels making them suitable for early drinking
    Now this wine is made from grapes grown on very old vines (Vielles Vignes) averaging 30+ years. The yield from these vines is low, but the resultant fruit is massively concentrated. Unfortunately I don't know this producer, so I can't give a definitive recommendation, but it should be drinking extremely well.

Now assuming that these wines have been well kept at a low (10-12C) temperature and haven't been repeatedly moved they both should be excellent for the up coming holiday.

They will both partner the classic Turkey and trimmings.

As to value, in all honesty, not all that great as the bordeaux is, as mentioned, a lesser label and the Pouilly-Fume, while at it's peak, doesn't really fetch a great deal.

if you had serious documented providence to accompany them, like a celebrity connection or similar then the price maybe more, but with the global financial meltdown wine prices have taken a nose dive.

If these where mine, I would invite some good friends over and enjoy them.

Hope this proves some enlightenment for you.
    if you have any other questions feel free to ask, I did 10 years in the UK Wine Trade and love the subject.
    Thank you so much for your help. It was very much appreciated. We will open some bottles for the holidays, and I will tell all my friends and family about what you had to say! Thanks again.

Matthew Kuhn
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 6, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Not a problem there, Matthew.

Would you be so kind as to let us know what they where like ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Château Lynch Moussas Pauillac 2000 [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a bottle of this wine as a gift and know nothing about it. How long should it sit before drinking? How much would it cost to replace it?

Red bordeaux [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bottle of Château Mouton Baronne Philippe, 1986. I bought this when my son was born, it is for his 21th birthday, how much is it worth today?

Naughty dog de bordeaux! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.I have got a nine month old dog de bordeaux she is house trained, but just recently she has started urinating in the house.she will not wake me up in the middle of the night she will just do it in the hall way.in the day she will sit by the door and if I'm not there quick enough she will just do...

Ferderal reserve [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to stimulate the economy? I'm thinking by increasing the reserve requirement and increasing margin requirement but I'm not sure

View more questions Search