Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poloboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Illegal wrongful death judgement
    In clackamas county, OR. A limited judgement for apportionment for a wrongful death order was issued four month's prior to any kind of trial or hearing and restitution wasn't ordered until four months after a criminal trial and a civil trial never happened. Does this not violate a persons right to due process? And if so how could you correct the error?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by poloboy View Post
    In clackamas county, OR. a limited judgement for apportionment for a wrongful death order was issued four month's prior to any kind of trial or hearing and restitution wasn't ordered until four months after a criminal trial and a civil trial never happened. Does this not violate a persons right to due process? And if so how could you correct the error?

This sounds like homework in light of the "how could you correct the error" question. The board does not do homework.

If it is not homework, need more info concerning which Courts and exact sequence, motor vehicle accident and so forth.
    poloboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 09:11 PM
    In clackamas county, OR. a limited judgement for apportionment for a wrongful death order was issued four month's prior to any kind of trial or hearing and restitution wasn't ordered until four months after a criminal trial and a civil trial never happened. Does this not violate a persons right to due process? And if so how could you correct the error?
    This was a Manslaughter case involving a motor vehicle in State court.The exact sequence went like this sept.11,2007 the wrongful death order was issued and American Family Insurance was ordered to pay $50,000 to the parents of Gary Allen.on jan.29,2008 Shelly Uptain was found guilty of Manslaughter in a criminal trial and ordered to pay restitution for court cost's and attorney fee's with know mention of the $50,000 that had already been awarded an was finalized in the court's eyes,on April 28,2008 Shelly was ordered to pay $50,000 restitution without any kind of civil trial or hearing.My question is doesn't Shelly have a right to a civil trial and for a wrongful death order to happen doesn't intent or negligence have to be determined?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 05:54 AM
    doesn't Shelly have a right to a civil trial and for a wrongful death order to happen doesn't intent or negligence have to be determined?
    Hello polo:

Shelly CAN be ordered by the criminal court to pay restitution. That does NOT violate her due process rights.

She's NOT entitled to a civil trial... As a matter of fact, if ANYBODY is entitled to a civil trial, it would be the vicitims family, and they'd be suing Shelly. I wouldn't be surprised to see a suit like that filed in the near future.

Would the restitution be subtracted from any judgment they might win?? Maybe.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 06:21 AM

You are confusing civil and criminal, in the criminal trial the court can order restitution, this is not part of the civil process.

The sept 11 date appears to have been a civil court hearing, since wrongful death is normally a civil term.

It would appear that both a civil and criminal case was done or at leat pleaded to. Unless the insurance company merely paid instead of going to trial in a civil case, and they have that right, you give them that right when you buy the insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrongful judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me foe 3200.00 for a car that was repoed wrongfully, what should I do to stop the judgement? I have a judgement against me foe 3200.00 for a car that was repoed wrongfully, what should I do to stop the judgement?

PEI Statute of Limitation (Wrongful Death)? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what the Statute of Limitations is in Prince Edward Island for wrongful death. It involves an 18-year-old who committed suicide in his room at a hospital while under psychiatric care and in its custody?

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Deliberate Wrongful Judgement [ 2 Answers ]

This takes placed in NJ, Hackensack. My wife worked for a company that her mother ran, she did not own it. She was only there (short term) for a few months since she was only 17 years old. Apparently, there was a lawyer that had a problem with the company and her mother for the sum of $3,504....

Wrongful death [ 3 Answers ]

I live in canada and my mother was involved in fatal car crash 20 years ago. . she was a passenger in car which left highway and landed in water bother died, we had option to sue but did not. . we were very young and did not know exactly what it meant and were under stress and extreme grief.can...

View more questions Search