Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BarryTero Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Retrieving files off another hard drive
    Hello There,
    A friend has asked me if I can retrieve files off here hard drive. Can I do this by connecting the hard drive to the IDE slave cable and hooking up the power plug to it? Also I would like to know if my OS system will activate the 2nd hard drive or do I have to use a reboot disk?
    Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2008, 07:33 AM

Yes, you can connect it as a slave. First make sure the CMOS setup recognizes the drive, then you will need to assign a drive letter to it in the OS (if that isn't done automatically).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieving info from old hard drive. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a slight problem and wonder if anyone here can help me. My old, or not so old computer quit working on me about 5 months ago. Before it died however it spluttered, muttered, and hissed and then crashed. Lights out! It would not start again. Problem is I was using that computer to run my...

I also need to retrieve files from hard drive. [ 3 Answers ]

In follow-up and conjunction with another question posted here, I, too, have a NTFS hard drive from another laptop computer that I need to access/salvage. I have already connected it via a USB drive enclosure (USB 2.0 to IDE). It still did not assign a drive letter; all right-click options are...

Viewing files on your hard drive [ 12 Answers ]

How do you clean up your computer like getting rid of useless or unwanted files,images,progammes. Also how do you view the files on your hard drive

Backing up many files on xternal hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need to take my Mac laptop in for servicing (to get the disc drive fixed) and I want to back everything up first. I don't know anything about external hard drives! I went to the site "Mega Upload" hoping that I could just upload everything until I get my Mac fixed, but then I learned...

Retrieving information from an old hard drive [ 9 Answers ]

I have an old hard drive from 2003, with a lot of files and programs on it that I would like to retrieve and save to my new hard drive. I basically know how to install a hard drive... I recently exchanged my new hard drive for the old one to see what was on it. Unfortunately, my computer doesn't...

View more questions Search